Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that may not have read my original post, look here.
Well, I finally got to spend some time working on getting my Mustang roadworthy. I spent some time Friday removing the alternator, air cond idler pulley, electric fan, etc to clear the way, so I could drill out the broken bolt in the pass side cylinder head.

I picked up some 1/8” cobalt coated drill bits for assist in removing the GRADE 8 bolt. No joy.
After about 2 hours of attempting to get the bolt out, I realized that if I continue, I will penetrate the water jacket and ruin the cylinder head /forums/images/icons/frown.gif.

So, I decided to move to plan B. Swap driver’s side and pass side heads. Since they are symmetrical, they should work fine. Started wrenching at about 3:30 yesterday and stopped after ~2 ½ hours. I also love the steel reinforced viton valve cover gaskets that Whisperer recommended. After removing the bolts, the valve cover lifted right off, no mess, no ruined seal, amazing!!!! I removed the passenger side head pulled, got all of the other stuff on the driver’s side removed except for the head (I still have to drain the block on that side) and I have verified what I had suspected all along.

I had the cylinder head gaskets installed backwards!!! Well, I can now confirm that my cooling system is one of the best in the land, as my car ran relatively cool unless I got into a real hot area. Now that I will have the head gaskets installed correctly, this will not be an issue anymore.

Anyhow, I wanted to find out what type of cylinder head gasket I should purchase for the car. I plan on using Felpro style. Any other recommendations, I would appreciate it.

I am also going to use ARP head bolts (std 6 point), intake bolts (stainless) and water pump bolts (stainless). Also going to try to get the alternator swingbolt replaced, but the ARP catalog doesn't list 7/16-14 x 6" (stops at 5").

G

·
0 Posts
I also love the steel reinforced viton valve cover gaskets that Whisperer recommended. After removing the bolts, the valve cover lifted right off, no mess, no ruined seal, amazing!!!!

These sound cool -- can you post some additional information about who makes them and where you got them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look here

These are the ones that Whisperer turned me onto. Thanks, Hal!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts