Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! I replaced the broken bearing on my (8") axle, but the outer ring is still embedded in the case. I cannot get the blame thing out!!! What do I do??

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Try to get a slide hammer puller and get it out. If that doesn't work it may require a chisel or a cutting torch. You should be able to rent a puller from one of your local parts houses expecially if you buy the new bearing from them...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, wasn't clear in my post. I did get it out with a slide hammer. The problem is it was broken and left just the outer ring in the hole. Nothing to get a hold of with a puller.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I'm having a little trouble picturing it but I think you are talking about the outer race assy. If this is the case you are going to have to split it with a chisel or torch it out. Is there any part of the bearing lip left on the race? If there is you can get a 3 jaw puller that attaches to a slide hammer, just get the three jaws in the inner bearing lip and pray it comes loose.
If you have a chisel you may try to strike the race at an angle to spin it in the saddle, this may break it loose enough for you to get it out...

G

·
0 Posts
A torch hot enough to heat up the rear end housing would probably free it up for you. I wouldn't try to "torch" that outer bearing housing from the rear end, you'll mess it up. If heat doesn't work, a sharp chisel should break it. Wear some eye protection while you're whaling on it though. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ray. I was hoping for something not requiring brute force and the opportunity to bang up my fender! I guess that is not to be.

By the way, I am need of some parts for my '71. You got any spares hanging aroud we could talk about?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I am not a "torch" kinda guy. I guess I will go buy a sharp chisel and see if I can avoid hitting the fender. Some days life is good, and then some days........

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Try a carbide grinding bit. I siezed a front bearing once and spent 3 days trying to get the darn race off the spindle, heat, chisel, hammer, etc. Nothing worked. Then I rmemebered that I had a carbide grinding bit. I used a hand drill and in about 20 minutes I had cut thru it enough that I could use a chisel to break it. A Dremel tool with a small bit is all you would need. Make sure the bit is carbide.
Have fun!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Rod, I have some parts and am always looking for others myself. If I have something you need I will try to help you. Let me know...Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts