Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my money was cut off by SWMBO, I have turned my attention to my dad's 53 F100. I was taking off the exhaust manifolds, and I snapped a bolt head off. Mind you, these are EXHAUST bolts that have been there going on 50 years. I was impressed with the fact that, of the 6, I only snapped one (although I think one other came out only cause the threads were rusted away completely). I ONLY snapped the head, and when the manifold comes off, it will look like there is a stud in there, so I have something to work with. Question is, what is the best way to go about the extraction process? I think I messed up by just cranking on it (not too hard, buyt hard enuf to snap it) and not bouncing on it like I did the other ones. I think it will come out, but I dont wanna risk breaking off what I have left.

This truck is cool... Great grandfather bought it new, used it as a farm truck, and then it was abandoned on his farm when he died. My dad rescued it back in the early 80's. It runs great, except it sounds like a NASCAR due to a lack of exhaust and a broken manifold... which isnt all that bad! We are doing a limited restoration on it... interior is done (was perfect as-is, except seat got recovered), all we need is to pull the drive train, pull the cab, finish the frame, paint the body and bed, and reassemble. If we would get with and and do it, we could have it done in a few weeks.

G

·
0 Posts
soak it with some penetrating oil WD40 for instance then try the good old visegrips always seems to work for me good luck Leroy Dont twist to hard and break the bolt off any more if that doesnt work then you will have to try the heat and cold tecnique.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Use PBBlaster a couple of days, and then try turning the bolt to the right. Often times, tightening it up breaks the rust bonds, and allows you to loosen it up.

I'd also suggest trying to weld something on the tip of the broken bolt to help you torque it off.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Liquid wrench has work for me in the past. If you just can’t get it then maybe drill a hole in the stud and tap it for a small bolt. Thus leaving the broken bolt there.

G

·
0 Posts
i forgot what they are called but sold at many auto stores the are like a drill bit with reverse treads and will pull that right out i pulled a 1/2 broken rusted and damaged tread out.pretty simple to use drill a small hole tru the bolt and put the special bit in the hole turn it and wha-la

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
PB Blaster and let it soak a day or so every once in awhile go tap the end of the stud with a hammer and reapply PB,,, it will come out

G

·
0 Posts
my dad was a mechanic for over 30 years. the tip he gave me has saved my ass many times. heat the bolt up cherry red with a torch, then quench it quickly with cold water, and it should turn out easily.
this also works great on bleeder screws, exhaust system bolts, whatever. it has never failed me.
good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts