Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Edelbrock performer heads with right around 1000 miles on the engine. Comp Cams 1.6:1 roller rockers. Today, I broke a rocker stud.

Is this a defective part? What could cause this? Did I fubar it somehow?

You can bet I'll be on the phone with Edelbrock on Monday.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'll bet the stud wasn't tightened properly and failed in fatigue due to bending load.

Did you re-torque all the studs to spec when you put the heads on? This is a common problem although I've heard of it being more of an issue with AFR heads.

If you didn't,...I would'nt even bother calling Edlebuck....uh..hum...I mean Edlebrock.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I didn't re-torque the studs. I did not see anything regarding re-torquing the studs in the documentation. I read that stuff many times.

It required re-torquing the heads after initial startup and cooldown which I did.

I need to find those instructions. I think I know where they are.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'm thinking one wasn't tight and worked loose. They need to be tight so the flange of the stud reacts the bending load and not the threads.

Did it break below the flange or up top? If it broke up top my theory is probably wrong. ::

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It broke right at the nut, way up high. I don't recall exactly where, but I do know that there was not much if anything hanging out of the nut. I haven't pulled the cover back off yet, maybe tomorrow. Tonight I'm tired, hungry and disappointed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts