Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a broken screw that holds the visor bracket on my 66 convertible. The screw is broken flush so my only option is going to be to drill it out. Before I do that, is the backside of that headrail accessible from the front of the car under the winshield trim? I am pretty sure it is not but thought I would ask just in case. :)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Some place makes a set of extractors just for small screws, guess you will have to google.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Be extra cautious as some of those screws are stainless steel and you could easily break your drill bit and have a double problem. Using a small left hand drill bit might back it out if it's already so long that it hits the roof metal.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Agree, left hand drill bit to start hole, then extractor. Left hand bit may even remove it. Should come out. Screws not as bad as rusted bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
If there's even a tiny bit of it sticking up you might be able to clamp on it with a pair of vice grip pliers, and in rare instances I have used the three-sided chuck of a drill to draw down on the screw then flip the drill in reverse and back it out.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Small nut, MIG to screw through the center and wrench/nut driver it out?
A great method but not inside the vehicle. Weld spatter, glass and soft interior upholstery do not fare well together and if the broken screw is stainless special wire is needed for mig.

Reactions: GT_SCODE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts