Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While pulling out the generator bracket, my dipstick tube broke of with a cracking sound. Looks like the PO fixed a broken dipstick boss by slicing a Budweiser can, wrapping the aluminum around the dipstick tube, and JB welding it to the timing cover!

So how is the dipstick supposed to fit in the boss? Is it threaded or some kind of taper fit? Either way the boss is broken off pretty bad, so I don't think it is repairable. Do I need to look out for some weird thing with a new timing cover not being compatable with an early 289 block?

Thanks for the help.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
With a generator bracket, it sounds like you're working on a very early '65. Yes, there's something you'll need to look out for ... you'll need the one for the aluminum pumps. They are very different from the ones for the cast pumps, and the 2 are NOT interchangeable.

The dipstick tube is just pressed in.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
maybe you can pull the timing cover, and punch it out from the backside using a hammer? I can't remember if the dipstick hole is thru or blind. If worse comes to worse, you can always drill it back out. Finding that timing cover is gonna be a bizoch.

While you're in there, replace the timing gears with a true double roller set, and consider replacing the water pump.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If this is a resto and you want the early cover, it can be welded and re-drilled for a new dipstick tube to slightly press into...

If not, it would be more cost-effective, IME, to get a later cover and CI water pump...

This assumes you don't have free access to a TIG welder and a mill...*G*

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Get me the part # off of the timing cover, I have a couple I can check (one for that funny aluminum pump, one for a WP with no backing plate).

Paul

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I couldn't wait any longer and I ordered a new Ford aluminum timing cover and new water pump. One of the threads was stripped on the old timing cover as well, so I just decided to replace it, and I can save a little weight at least /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

I didn't realize there was a difference between timing covers. It lists the timing cover I got as being compatable with all 289, 302, and 351 engines. It has the dipstick boss as well. I guess we'll see in a couple days when UPS comes....

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
If it's just the dipstick tube that broke, I used a small nut driver and lightly tapped it through from the inside and it popped the broken piece of tube right out. The new one just pressed right in. For some reason, once they are in, they WILL NOT come back out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts