Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as some of you know, I broke a water pump bolt off in the block. Thanks to your help I stopped with the extractor process before (most likely) breaking the extractor off and creating a bigger mess. Some advice included welder extraction which I鈥檓 not experienced at but I bought a welder and I am going to practice on some nuts and bolts before moving onto the real deal. Wish me luck. 馃槼

Registered
Good Luck! Good idea using the welder. It will pay for itself in the coming years.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
So my practicing is not going well. I鈥檓 using a flux core welder. Can鈥檛 seem to get a strong enough weld to hold the nut to the bolt. Any of you seasoned welding veterans have any good tips?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
鈥測ou would be better served using a gaswelder . but other wise turn the wire speed down and the power up鈥

So Oxy acetylene?

Registered
鈥測ou would be better served using a gaswelder . but other wise turn the wire speed down and the power up鈥

So Oxy acetylene?
Oxy/Acetylene is a torch for braising, different than welding.

A gas welder is either MIG (Metal/Inert Gas) or TIG (Tungsten/Inert Gas). MIG is the easier of the two. A 120v MIG with a bottle of C25 gas will handle just about all the welding you'll need to do on your car.

Registered
Ditto for what "Frankie......." stated, as the gas MIG is a much better combo. The gas shields the arc and keeps it clean. It just takes practice to get the heat, the speed, and the feed correct, but, you will get it. I've always used a gas MIG, so not sure if you can add a bottle to your rig? Maybe someone here can chime in ......?

Registered
Get yourself a metal plate, and practice making puddles. As 2nd 66 mentioned, start playing with the adjustments for power and wire speed so you see what it does. This way, when you run into a situation you know what it calls for. Too much power/not enough wire produces very different results than shoving too much wire at a unheated workpiece.

Practice practice practice. Good welding is an art form.

Registered
MIG, Mixed Inert Gas, Gas Wire welder
MIG = Metal Inert Gas aka GMAW - Gas Metal Arc Welding

Either way, a flux core will do the job, but makes a mess. I welded one time with a flux unit, did a pass and went to get my MIG.

Regarding the bolt, you want a slow wire feed speed with the heat set as high as you can get it without causing the wire to melt back into the electrode tip. You need to put heat into the parts to get a good weld and break the rust bond. If you have trouble with it snapping off the bolt, try welding a washer to the bolt, then a nut to the washer.

Registered
Using that "gas welder" term confused me too. BTW you certainly can weld with an O/A torch. In fact it's how Chromoly tube aircraft were fabricated before TIG welding replaced it. My first Mustang repairs and fabricated exhaust were done with an O/A rig. The process is the same as TIG, but the flame replaces the electric arc as the heat source.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Used the flux core welder. Couldn鈥檛 get the nut to stay attached so I just kept building up the weld until I could grab it with a pair of channel locks! You guys helped me a lot otherwise I probably would鈥檝e broke an EZ-Out off in there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
As a side note can someone tell me how to reply where it shows the individual鈥檚 comment that I am replying to?

Registered
As a side note can someone tell me how to reply where it shows the individual鈥檚 comment that I am replying to?
Press "quote" in the lower right of the post you want to reply to.
And just so you will know, hit multi-quote on each that you want to answer and then hit quote (as well as multi-quote) on the LAST one you choose (be sure to hit multi-quote first on the last one).

Allen

1 - 20 of 30 Posts