Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Broken water pump bolt

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Huskinhano 
#1 ·
Ok, as some of you know, I broke a water pump bolt off in the block. Thanks to your help I stopped with the extractor process before (most likely) breaking the extractor off and creating a bigger mess. Some advice included welder extraction which I’m not experienced at but I bought a welder and I am going to practice on some nuts and bolts before moving onto the real deal. Wish me luck. ?

#8 ·
Oxy/Acetylene is a torch for braising, different than welding.

A gas welder is either MIG (Metal/Inert Gas) or TIG (Tungsten/Inert Gas). MIG is the easier of the two. A 120v MIG with a bottle of C25 gas will handle just about all the welding you'll need to do on your car.

Reactions: kenash
#9 ·
Ditto for what "Frankie......." stated, as the gas MIG is a much better combo. The gas shields the arc and keeps it clean. It just takes practice to get the heat, the speed, and the feed correct, but, you will get it. I've always used a gas MIG, so not sure if you can add a bottle to your rig? Maybe someone here can chime in ......?

#10 ·
Get yourself a metal plate, and practice making puddles. As 2nd 66 mentioned, start playing with the adjustments for power and wire speed so you see what it does. This way, when you run into a situation you know what it calls for. Too much power/not enough wire produces very different results than shoving too much wire at a unheated workpiece.

Practice practice practice. Good welding is an art form.

#14 ·
Using that "gas welder" term confused me too. BTW you certainly can weld with an O/A torch. In fact it's how Chromoly tube aircraft were fabricated before TIG welding replaced it. My first Mustang repairs and fabricated exhaust were done with an O/A rig. The process is the same as TIG, but the flame replaces the electric arc as the heat source.

#21 ·
Victory! Too late for this adventure but it's worth noting that when you weld on a fastener like that it's also like the perfect way to apply helpful heat to it that helps break it loose too. I know a couple of people who hardly bother with other methods of bolt extraction, they just go straight for the MIG welder. Particularly when it's exhaust bolts/studs broken off in cylinder heads.

Nobody really LIKES flux core welders but with practice they are as viable as any lower priced MIG. Just the welds are less attractive and there is more cleanup. My small shop welder for 20 years was flux only. Within its limitations it's always worked just fine. And if you are outdoors trying to weld something on a very windy day flux is the way to go anyway. The welding skills you learn using flux core will transfer if you decide to upgrade to a gas rig later.

Reactions: vegasloki
#23 ·
Victory! Too late for this adventure but it's worth noting that when you weld on a fastener like that it's also like the perfect way to apply helpful heat to it that helps break it loose too. I know a couple of people who hardly bother with other methods of bolt extraction, they just go straight for the MIG welder. Particularly when it's exhaust bolts/studs broken off in cylinder heads.

Nobody really LIKES flux core welders but with practice they are as viable as any lower priced MIG. Just the welds are less attractive and there is more cleanup. My small shop welder for 20 years was flux only. Within its limitations it's always worked just fine. And if you are outdoors trying to weld something on a very windy day flux is the way to go anyway. The welding skills you learn using flux core will transfer if you decide to upgrade to a gas rig later.
Thanks Gypsy, I intend on upgrading at some point so that’s good to know. ?

#24 ·
Nice!!
And, just to throw an idea out there for re-installing the pump: mine is currently installed with stainless steel bolts and anti-seize (no RTV on the bolts). Been that way since Feb. 2016 when I "finished" the car. No leaks, no puddles... and if I want to remove the water pump, no bolts rusted in the block. It's a beautiful thing.

#25 ·
In 197x.... err back in the day :grin2: when you were learning to weld in a formal setting they made you start with oxyfuel welding. Then stick then if you were really good and lucky at the time you could move to the fancy new Heli-Arc machine. Only a few made that. I wasn't one.

I was getting a bottle of argon a few weeks back and was looking at torch rigs and the counter guys said they're selling more of other fuel gases than acetylene. Apparently acetylene is stupid expensive these days. :shrug: Had no idea. They were pushing propylene as the fuel gas. Cheaper, lasts longer, burns hotter they say.

#28 ·
.....and a Plasma cutter is so much easier and precise. I purchased mine from Robert's Oxygen's professional shop at a time they were changing out their older units for new ones. Heck, their "older" units are still pretty darn good. It uses 50 PSI (air) and 110V. It'll cut up any metal on our old rigs. Yeah, we got off topic.

#29 ·
I have a Hypertherm Powermax 30 hand plasma that's modded and can be fitted to a table as well. I've had it almost 10 years. I haven't used a flame hammer in at least 6-7 years or so and that one wasn't mine. I was interested in a rosebud torch for heating and forming. By the time I got the gas and torch outfit it was at least $400 all the way up to a grand. I passed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.