Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, installed these moulding clip heathens today. What a pita!!! Anyhow, one of the pins on the rear window decided to take a detour off the car when I was knocking them on.

I read you can put a small screw in place of it. My question is, do i have to put it exactly where the other pin was? Or can I go right next to it? If it needs to go exactly where the other one was, should I just blast it through with a punch?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Right where it was should be fine, easier to locate its opposite if needed.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right where it was should be fine, easier to locate its opposite if needed.
Should I just whack it thru with a punch? Or can I just set it about 1/4" off to the side?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Check your trim. If it doesn't have a dedicated slot for the retainer, then go ahead and put your screw either side of the original location.

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
The assembly manuals allow lateral positioning of the pins within +/- a quarter of an inch. It's the depth and height from the flange that must be exacting. Note you may be able to use the original holes if they're still there. Screws for replacement duty are Pan Phillips Sheet Metal 6x1/2, and I used stainless steel ones to replace mine that were missing.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I replaced one offset a bit without issue.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts