Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if you remember my earlier post about it my Bronco(full size XLT with a 351 and I absolutely LOVE IT). It has been percolating upwards for a year or more on the temp gauge and finally boiled over. I was pulling 3000 pounds or so of gravel behind it on a trailer in 100 degree heat up hill at the time.

I have been working on this problem for a while including a dealer computer run, exhaust pressure check for the 2 back to back catalytic converters, installed a new fan clutch and flushed the radiator every which way from sunday.

I decided to go ahead and replace the radiator. That did it. It is one of those aluminum with plastic end caps ones that can't be cleaned out. I got a cheap deal on it and it has a year warranty. I decided to also replace the thermostat(192 degrees? weird eh) and discovered that it had the original Ford factory thermostat. I guess I can't complain since it ran for 164,000 miles and the radiator was original too. It also still has the original spark plug wires. I think I'm gonna replace those soon too, LOL.

With the new radiator, new thermostat and all new coolant I drug my car to the track in 96 degree heat and it was as cool as a cucumber. The Bronco is running better and getting a bit better gas mileage now too.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Yes, I went through that too...except I waited until after the trip to Michigan.....heehee....talk about a pucker factor!!!

I got the Alum one with plastic tanks also....and the truck now purrs...
doesn't even touch the normal band...

I also changed the coolant pump and thermostat...now at 201,785 miles
I am gonna do the shortblock/ cylinder heads swap....I should pick up some ponies...

Among the mods planned are some nicely prepped heads, under drive pullies, roller rockers and an electric fan...

Glad ot hear other Broncs are living long happy lives... ::

1 - 3 of 3 Posts