Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been concerned about my brother's recent 73 Mach 1 shell purchase, because of his time and $$ efforts being split and diluted between it and his 65 coupe. I feel he will get frustrated with both projects. And since we both own 65 coupes in approx the same stage of restoration, I naturally favor the coupe. The Mach will easily take an $8-10,000 cash injection just to make it a decent roadworthy car...becuase of the stripped, incomplete stage of the car. Plus the big sunroof hole doesn't bode well. We may have came up with a good restoration strategy last night, which he favors.

He wants to buy a Mercury Cyclone really cheap that has a 351C 4V w/ a C-6 tranny. The car runs good also. Body is fair w/ little rust, and interior is respectable...from what we were told. (He hasn't seen the car yet.) The owner is desperate for cash and has a low price for the car. My brother wanted to buy the Cyclone for the engine for the Mach 1. I suggested he buy the Cyclone and fix it up. Would be MUCH cheaper to do than the Mach shell. Then...get the Mach shell fixed up enough for primer, and sell it to pay for the Cyclone. Those old Merc Cyclones are getting rarer all the time, and a good looking one which is fixed up relatively cheap may be a good restoration investment. IMO

That way my brother can concentrate on the 65 coupe while having a driver for the second car. He/we thought that was a great strategy, so he is going to pursue that avenue now. We were both excited and animated last night cussing and discussing the latest restoration challenges. He needs the internet so he can get on this forum.... I keep trying. Hope this doesn't sound like I interfere with his business, but I do.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Sounds like a great strategy to me ... that hole in the roof of the Mach is always going to bring it's value down.

At our show that we do each year in August, Mustangs and Fords in the Park, we allow all models of Fords (we even allow Ford T-buckets with Chevy 350's in them **YUCK**). We have 2 best of show trophies, Best of Show Ford, and Best of Show Mustang. Last year, the Best of Show Ford went to a Cyclone. That was one beautiful car, that I'd gladly trade any of my Mustangs for!

G

·
0 Posts
Those are very nice cars. You did not give many details. What year?

There were also different models. Personally, I would die for a '70 GT with the hidden headlights. There were also mid 60's Cyclones that have a HUGE racing heritage, and absolutely beautiful body lines.

I'd take the Cyclone over a beater Mustang anyday. Heck, top drawer to top drawer, I might still take the Mercury. They are hard to find.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure about the details yet, BT. But if this is a case of a fairly decent running Cyclone, my brother would be miles ahead of a delapidated rusty Mach 1 shell. I'll post a pic, hopefully, if his deal goes through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts