Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, the other day I posted a picture of a plate we found in my 68 mustang. Since the picture was not great I’ve come back with a better one to see if you get any more ideas on what it could be. If it is actually a buck tag could you maybe decode it? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
It doesn’t look like a typical buck code but I am more familiar with 65-66 tags.

You can read about them here.
1965-66 Buck Tag information

Other similar tags have been found on some cars, apparently some factories used them occasionally for reasons that arent documented anywhere.

What can you tell us about the car? You can get a Marti report to learn how the car was originally equipped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn’t look like a typical buck code but I am more familiar with 65-66 tags.

You can read about them here.
1965-66 Buck Tag information

Other similar tags have been found on some cars, apparently some factories used them occasionally for reasons that arent documented anywhere.

What can you tell us about the car? You can get a Marti report to learn how the car was originally equipped.
As far as we know, it’s a 1968 coupe with a 302. It came with original air conditioning as well as in hood turn signal lights.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
A 68 coupe I once had, did have a Buck Tag on RH side on radiator support. Same info as a 67 I have it should show a VIN , also paint code, options in code. Usually tag held on by "truss head" screw.
That doesn't look like a Ford stang factory tag.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
If the 20488 is not your last five of the VIN, or your DSO on the door tag, I would say that it is not related to the manufacture of the car. Now, that is not to say that if it is your last five that it is related to the manufacture, as someone putting on a fleet tag may have used this scheme. Do a title search and see if you can track down the provenance of this car. Maybe part of a rental fleet?
Just out of curiosity, what is on your door tag?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Not a factory buck tag.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I disagree. Why and who would bother to put a fake buck tag on a low value plain 67 six cylinder coupe?

It sure looked to me like it had never been removed.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Ford from factory screwed them on.
My understanding is only NJ & Michigan plants issued them. Not San Jose.
The information doesn't appear to follow traditional Ford format.
Can't tell, but if welded on, doubt back then Ford took time to do that.
Someone else or company, doubt Ford did

Reactions: 69DroptopGT

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
This is my 67 Buck Tag, vin covered of course. Note what I call unique cut edges on it. This a Marti Autoworks reproduction of my rusty orig. This was a NJ Ford factory car. On 67 tag screw to driver side hood hinge area.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I disagree. Why and who would bother to put a fake buck tag on a low value plain 67 six cylinder coupe?

It sure looked to me like it had never been removed.
Buck codes are screwed on. None look like that.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,635 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.