Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been working on decoding this Buck Tag and Block numbers but I have hit a few that I can't work out.

20170624_182330.jpg

Here is what I have at this point.
Buck Tag
c/o 749
1 J21 6T07A113189
65B F F2

Custom Order Rotation Number
1 = ??
J21 = September 1965 \ Atlanta ? Or is this J for September 1965, 2 for Axel 2.83 and 1 for transmission 3 speed?
6=1966
T= Assembly Plant Metuchen NJ
07= Hardtop
A= 289-4v (4 barrel)
113189= Vin number
65B = Hardtop, Luxury Interior, Bucket Seats
F = Light Blue (arcadia blue)
F2 = Interior trim Parchment with Blue, Luxury

My Engine block is easier but still have a question about the top numbers
20190620_190758.jpg

C5AE – 1965-1967, 289 Windsor small-block, 2-bolt mains, 6-bolt bellhousing
But what does the 5J13 mean?

Based on my Engine ID tag (posted that tag earlier) on the manifold the engine was build Sept 1965 but here is that tag also just incase it helps
20190620_194803_001.jpg

I used this link for the vin decode 1966 Ford Mustang VIN Information
This link for the block code A Guide To Ford V8 Engine Block Casting Numbers, 1952-1996

I looked at lots of others too but most shared the same info.

The car is a factory 3 speed which is uncommon from what I have see but if it was a Custom Order that makes sense. At this point no idea what the Axel gear.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
3 speeds are not rare, they are the base transmission. You neglect to order anything else 3 speed be what you get. They are rarer today than when new because the 4 speed is a superior driving experience to the 3.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Door tag has the axle code.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5J13 means the block was cast on Sept 13, 1965.
Thanks for that info it is pretty simple once someone points it out to me.

3 speeds are not rare, they are the base transmission. You neglect to order anything else 3 speed be what you get. They are rarer today than when new because the 4 speed is a superior driving experience to the 3.
I agree 4 would be better but what I was meaning is it is with a 4 barrel V8 you would expect to see the 4 speed not the 3 so it is less common. If your what picking options and picked the upgraded engine why not get the upgraded transmission also?

Door tag has the axle code.
Thanks for that info kinda sucks for me as my door got changed back in 68 so that tag is long gone. I guess I will have to open the axel or try counting the rotations.

So if that J21 isn't the axle and transmission it must be J for Sept and 21 for Atlanta right?

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
The axle should have a tag on it as well. In front on the chunk.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The axle should have a tag on it as well. In front on the chunk.
I will check but I don't think it has a tag on it right now. So that would mean someone has opened it up at some point... that might be scary.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
J21 is the scheduled build date- Sept. 21st.
Again that makes sense once you point it out. So now I know when the car was built so more info to put in my car book. I'm logging all the info I have find on this car and the info my dad remembers so it is all written down someplace. I'm printing out photos too and at some point my kids will have this book to track the cars life.

·
Premium Member
13,523 Posts
I agree 4 would be better but what I was meaning is it is with a 4 barrel V8 you would expect to see the 4 speed not the 3 so it is less common. If your what picking options and picked the upgraded engine why not get the upgraded transmission also?
My '65 FB was ordered with the 4 speed transmission but only a 2V carb. Why would anybody select the 4 speed and a 2V engine when they were both options? Why didn't they also select the optional 4V engine to go with the 4 speed?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My '65 FB was ordered with the 4 speed transmission but only a 2V carb. Why would anybody select the 4 speed and a 2V engine when they were both options? Why didn't they also select the optional 4V engine to go with the 4 speed?

I agree the cars where $2,200-2,500 the transmission upgrade couldn't be more then $100 and engine maybe $300. If your spending that much just a little more got you a better car. But I think people thought about cars different back then.

·
Premium Member
13,523 Posts
So now I know when the car was built so more info to put in my car book.
Sept 21 was the SCHEDULED build date. It may have been built a week or two after the scheduled day. Since your engine block was cast on Sept 13 it is highly unlikely your car was assembled 8 days later. Have you looked at any of the date codes stamped in the sheet metal parts? We'll never know the actual build date for '65/'66 cars.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sept 21 was the SCHEDULED build date. It may have been built a week or two after the scheduled day. Since your engine block was cast on Sept 13 it is highly unlikely your car was assembled 8 days later. Have you looked at any of the date codes stamped in the sheet metal parts? We'll never know the actual build date for '65/'66 cars.
The only stamps I know of on the body are the ones under the driver door seal (rear door jam area) and the one stamp on the drivers fender top. I have looked at both but I don't have photos of them. I can get some later to document that also.

I'm happy to know it was built in Sept 65 I don't need to get much closer that is close enough for me and 55 years at this point

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
So what would you say about the handful of S-Codes (390 4v) built with 3 speeds?! Sometimes you only need one or two gears. Each buyer had a different need. Many times there simply is a price limit (whether total or monthly payment) that a customer could afford, and they avoided the rabbit-hole of continually checking boxes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So what would you say about the handful of S-Codes (390 4v) built with 3 speeds?! Sometimes you only need one or two gears. Each buyer had a different need. Many times there simply is a price limit (whether total or monthly payment) that a customer could afford, and they avoided the rabbit-hole of continually checking boxes.
I agree people do what people do and always have it is impossibleto guess reasons.. wasn't trying to say my car is special or rare just thought 3 speed was less common on a v8 or, maybe I'm a dip **** that made a bad assumption.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I agree people do what people do and always have it is impossible to guess reasons.. wasn't trying to say my car is special or rare just thought 3 speed was less common on a v8 or, maybe I'm a dip **** that made a bad assumption.
don't be hard on yourself, not a dip **** at all! I generally would agree with you. your car isn't necessarily "rare," just not a common combination.
here's a thought: I think Mini claims that there are 100,000 different possible combinations of their little car.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
421 Posts
4 speeds were an expensive option. I'd venture to say there where less of those in 65-66 than A codes but who knows.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
4 speeds were an expensive option. I'd venture to say there where less of those in 65-66 than A codes but who knows.
Just Googled:
A-code 4-v was only $53 more than a 2-v; $158 over 6 cyl.
4-speed was $184 !!

·
Premium Member
13,523 Posts
I would venture a guess that most Mustangs were ordered by the dealership for inventory. So why would the sales manager (or whomever orders the cars) order these strange combinations?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts