Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People here refer to them. I don't know what one is, where it is, or what it looks like. I've also read that San Jose built Mustangs don't have them. Maybe that's why I'm in the dark.

What and where are they? What do they look like? What info is on them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
If your car came with a buck tag it should be on the passenger side inner fender above the shock tower. It is a metal tag that is bolted down.

Look at this picture. On the left side of the passenger side shock tower is the buck tag. It is right between the two bolts.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Build tags, also known as Body Buck tags, were first used in the 1965 model year by the Dearborn and Metuchen assembly plants (but not San Jose), and were in general use from 1967 forward. They are usually bolted to the radiator support or the driver's side inner fender well. There are unconfirmed reports of a 1969 Boss 302 build tag stamped with GT , and it can be speculated why. It appears that the components stamped on the build tags are there because they apply to extra holes that had to be drilled or stamped into the body. For example, AC (for air conditioning) is there because the assembly line had to knock the plugs out for the AC. If you had a stereo, it was stamped on the Build Tag because Assembly line workers had to cut holes in the door panels, A GT required a hole in the radiator support (for the fog lamps), as well as cut-outs in the rear valance for the trumpet exhausts. In 1968, tilt steering is stamped on the build tag, but it is not in 1970, when no extra holes are required because the tilt steering was incorporated into the column.
In a nutshell, it tells the assembly line workers what accessories will be in the car so they have to prep it to accept those accessories. Then, later down the line, the body is prepped to receive those accessories.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I now know more than I did 15 minutes ago. Thanks to both of you!

I've been over every square centimeter of my 65 and never seen a buck tag. It's a San Jose car, so that must be why.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Buck tag means ya gotta kill one with horns........no slickheads! ::

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
They were used at San Jose for at least some 1970 Mustangs. I have a buck tag for a '70 Grande built there. It came on a used radiator support that I bought from a west coast recycling yard.

In general, Metuchen put them on the fender apron as described above. Dearborn and San Jose put them on the radiator support.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts