Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let's hear your bucket list car shows? I'm thinking about taking my son next year for our annual father son trip to a big car show. SEMA, Power tour, etc... was thinking Carlisle but I may be in Gulf Shores Alabama during the first week of June. We drove down to the Shelby and Ford meet in Tulsa the summer before last (really disappointed in the turn out that year). Let's get some opinions.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Hot August Nights in Reno, Fabulous Fords Forever In Southern California, Carlisle, the Shelby show in Oklahoma (Mid-America?), Woodward Dream Cruise, the Mustang show in Sturgis,....those are the ones that come to mind. I've done HAN and FFF, but I'll continue them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you are really talking bucket list, the Pebble Beach Concours is something to experience along with everything else happening that week (including auctions) in the area. It can be a very expensive week. But hey, you can't take it with you.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Four letters. SEMA
Although it is a bit over the top now, for ANYONE into Motorsport and automobiles it is a MUST do..
disclaimer: opinions vary and my opinion does NOT necessarily reflect the opinion of " the forum"

·
Super Moderator
8,882 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Four letters. SEMA
Although it is a bit over the top now, for ANYONE into Motorsport and automobiles it is a MUST do..
disclaimer: opinions vary and my opinion does NOT necessarily reflect the opinion of " the forum"
I have a good friend that goes to SEMA and said it is worth the trip. I think my son would love it, being 8 he cares more about the shiny than the functional and practical.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I’ve been to the Woodward Dream Cruise and really want to go again. It was such a dose of nostalgia then, but I think it’s getting commercialized. Hot August Nights was fantastic too, so many amazing cars. I’ve been to Corvettes Carlisle a bunch of times and that’s a great show. Don’t know if the Ford event is as good.

Pebble Beach and Amelia Island are definite bucket list shows for me, but they may be a bit hoity toity. I’ll just have to upgrade my leisure wear. The Vintage weekend at Lime Rock is another one on my list.

I’m hoping to drive Route 66 from Illinois to the Santa Monica Pier with my daughter. Hopefully while there’s still something left.

Four letters. SEMA
SEMA is definitely on my list, but don’t you have to be an industry insider? I didn’t think it was open to the public.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve been to the Woodward Dream Cruise and really want to go again. It was such a dose of nostalgia then, but I think it’s getting commercialized. Hot August Nights was fantastic too, so many amazing cars. I’ve been to Corvettes Carlisle a bunch of times and that’s a great show. Don’t know if the Ford event is as good.

Pebble Beach and Amelia Island are definite bucket list shows for me, but they may be a bit hoity toity. I’ll just have to upgrade my leisure wear. The Vintage weekend at Lime Rock is another one on my list.

I’m hoping to drive Route 66 from Illinois to the Santa Monica Pier with my daughter. Hopefully while there’s still something left.

SEMA is definitely on my list, but don’t you have to be an industry insider? I didn’t think it was open to the public.
You would be correct about SEMA not being open to the public, I will have to hit up my buddy to see how he gets tickets.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
SEMA would be the topper, but, you need the credentials to get in.
Not so much as the Woodward Dream cruise but the South East Michigan show at Ford's World Headquarters in Dearborn would be cool.
Any MCA National
The Carlyle Ford show
And the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in the Rosemont IL convention center.
I'd like to walk through the Pomona swap meet in southern California one time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Four letters. SEMA
Isn't Sema not open to the public? I'm close and was gonna go, but gave up after checking the website looking for tickets?

·
Registered
805 Posts
We did power tour this year and it was an ABSOLUTE BLAST!

Woodward in on the list. Pebble beach/car week is up there. I'm also looking at the good wood revival!

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
If classic Mustangs/Shelbys are on the menu, every summer the Shelby American Auto Club (SAAC) hosts their annual convention at a different spot throughout the US and is 4 days of beautiful cars, racing, and good people.

Someone mentioned Pebble Beach Concours but really just that entire week of the Monterrey Historics should be on every car nut's bucket list. It's an insane week of non-stop car events where you literally don't have the time to do everything and it just keeps growing. Definitely expensive though.

SEMA is only opened to "automotive professionals", but that's a fairly loose term for them. If you register an automotive LLC with your local city/county business office to occasionally sell car parts you restore or do something else auto related part-time, you can attend. Additionally, you can find an automotive company to sponsor you and share a guest ticket. There are a few other ways also.

Fab Fords Forever show at Knott's Berry Farm is a huge event. A huge swath of the cars are newer models but still plenty of cool classics and vendors.

BJ or any other large car auction. Tons of stuff to do, lots of vendors, lots of cars you can check out, many events to kill time.

Finally, many regions have annual concours shows which have unique cars and are fun events.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts