Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 mustang with an inline 6 (200ci) 3 speed transmission Non-power steering . I have a budget of about $6000 and I already have a 302 block and almost all parts to rebuild it (no transmission though). I want to make a little bit of power and I need to upgrade the front and rear brakes, as well as spindles and probably most suspension. The rear axle for sure to hold the power. Is there anyone out there who has done this in this price point? Does anyone have any recommendations on what to upgrade? What parts to use? how to be as conservative as possible with my budget? So many parts to order...

Thanks RJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can save a ton of money by doing all the work your self. Also if you could find a v8 parts car you would have the rear end and front end parts you need. I sold a parts car for 600. Power steering, v8 car. Nice looking car by the way and welcome

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Welcome ,I would go with a T-5 and look around for a used 8" from a 65/66 preferably or if you get a deal a 67/68 will work but are wider. if this doesn't work out the Explorer 8.8" is a popular swap but is best to shorten the long side to match the short side a get an extra short axle.
look online for the Tom Monroe book "HOW TO REBUILD YOUR SMALL BLOCK FORD" I'm not allowed to post the free PDF here anymore (copyright issue)
call any or all of these vendors ,
in no particular order

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If you really want to stay within your budget, id suggest you dont add up the receipts. Its not as painful when you dont know you've blown right past your goal.

Above all else, enjoy the project.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
The cheapest way is to sell your car, add the 6k and go buy a v8 car... You will buy a used T5 and install it only to find its trashed, I went through 3 of them before I gave up and put my toploader back in. I eventually found a really low mileage Tremec by luck. Used parts are a crap shoot sometimes you win sometimes you loose. By the way, two of my T5s were "low mileage" reported only 200 miles on them. I learned that means: "only used on the drag strip". Luckily, all three guys took them back.

Do some google searches if you choose to stay on your track. Lots of detailed explanations of what you are up against. buying a V8 disk brake parts car is a great way to go. Watch craigslist, facebook market place and find your local Mustang Club and buy lots of beer. Folks have stuff squirreled away in their garages that is just taking up space and they know what the other guys have so you can reach a lot of parts through a couple of guys/gals.

Good LUck

·
Registered
123 Posts
CSRP disk brake kit - 1100
used 5.0l - 7-800 with intake,carb, and dizzy (You have to find a complete motor, they're out there)
c4 - $400 or 4r70w with US shift controller -1100 (T5 aint gonna work in your budget, used means broken and new is too expensive)
Headers, fuel system oil pan, etc to make it run - 700
8.8 rear end plus brakes plus perches plus fluids plus driveshaft mods - 600
New wheels 200 used on craigslist up to whatever your budget allows
New springs/ freshen up steering or bushings as needed $400
New Bilsteins - 400
Fluids and supplies - 400 minimum

I'm at your budget, but if you shop around you might get better deals or score some trades. You can sell your motor, trans and diff for a few hundred if you're patient too. I'd also recommend a Shelby drop and strut rods with heim joints.

That's my experience, anyways.

And I'm ASSuming you do all the work. If you don't do all the work, sell it and buy one that is just the way you want it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts