Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am getting ready to start my engine rebuild and I was orginally going to go with AFR 165's, but I'm afraid that they will be out of my budget for the time being because I am planning on getting married in May. Anyways, I am rebuilding my 302 up to be a good street machine. Should I go with a set of used GT-40 heads with some work done to them or should I try to find a set of used edelbrock performer rpm's. I don't really want to go over $650-700 for the heads. Do you guys have any thoughts or recommendations or possibly good used heads :biggrin:. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
21,344 Posts
I don't see anything wrong in looking for a set of used heads in good shape. I'd certainly use GT40's. I'm going to be using GT40P's on my 66. Ford used the GT40 head on the old Lightnings and they ran pretty well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hmm..I wouldn't put a set of heads on that have not just come out of the machine shop. Are the heads in question ready to bolt on? I too went the 'cheap' route with a set of supposedly ready to go heads. Tore my daily driver down with the help of a friend, bolted on the new heads, went to find top dead center of the #1 plug and discovered no compression. A rental car, a trip to the machine shop and more than a few $$ later for new valves, etc it would have been cheaper to have bought the new AFRs I had originally wanted. This doesn't appear to be your daily so you won't be without a way to work if things go south, but I would still hold out for want you really want instead of settling for something else even if it takes another year.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I was talking to a guy that builds a lot of 302 engines. He told me that his experience has been that the Edelbrock heads have the best results. I don't have them so I can't tell you with certainty that this is true but the guy is a full time Ford mechanic & he builds fast fox bodies on the side. Good luck.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Try Thumper Performance, http://www.hunterstyle.com/thumper/combos.php
they built me up a set of 54cc heads that really rock ! And at a fair price. You can deal with them too. The do a lot of E7 heads but have early heads too.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I was tremendously disappointed in my Edelbrock heads. The Edelbrock literature touted 346 hp on the dyno with their performer rpm heads, intake and cam, plus carb. I bought the package and put it on my 302 and dyno'd 253 hp and 275 ftlbs torque at the rear wheels. I did a lot of extras, such as electric fan, roller rockers, speed demon carb, headers, underdrive pulleys, and the 253 was the best dyno run. I felt I threw my money away. JohnPro's car consistently ran away from my stang by at least a second in the 1/4 and he had a mild cam, stock block, and 351 factory heads. I will never buy Edebrock heads again.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
johnpro's car consistently ran away from my stang by at least a second in the 1/4 and he had a mild cam, stock block
That's not exactly true. My block is bored .030 over, is balanced, has a FRP double roller timing chain, 10:1 KB flat top pistons, and the Lunati Bracket master cam is probably just a tad more cam than your 302 had with the Edelbrock cam. The 351w heads have screw in studs and Harland Sharp roller rockers.

... don't want you thinking a stock engine was beating you all those times :winkgrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts