Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a small article on how to build an engine lift plate. You can buy them, but what fun is that? Save the debate on engine lift plates for another thread. I have used them for 25 years with great success.
I used a piece of 1/4" plate for the bottom plate:

I marked it and cut it with a 4 1/2" angle grinder:

I used a carb spacer and a transfer punch to mark the holes. The holes were drilled and de-burred top and bottom:

The vertical plate is a piece of 3/8" thick x 3" wide x 6 1/2" long. I built a small fixture for my lathe, and used an 1 3/8" holesaw on an arbor to bore the holes. You can also use a drill press or a torch to cut the holes:

The vertical plate is clamped in place, and welded:

A little paint, and it will be ready for battle:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used to use chains to a bolt in the left and right head, front and rear respectively. Built my lift plate about a year ago. Very happy. Its faster, easier, and more controlled.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
What fun is that? What fun it is watching the motor fall into your engine compartment?

Not a good think to be experimenting with IMO.

·
Registered
388 Posts
made something similar a while back but for the 5.0 efi type lower intakes, much easier than trying to get a chain on the back of the heads when you don't need to pull the intake.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Nice project, and very well made. One of the magazines built a home built heavy duty motor lift plate and compared it against the store bought version. They had a lab test the two of them side by side until they failed. The store bought one held up thousands of pounds past it design limit. The homemade one did slightly better in some areas due to it's thicker gauge steel.

·
Registered
223 Posts
How trusting are you when it comes to bolting that thing onto a big block with an aluminum intake manifold? I find these intake lift deals kinda scary. I feel like its just gonna strip the small 5/16" studs out and boom exploded oilpan guts every where!

Maybe a sbf wouldn't be a big deal, but I would trust this more on a iron intake manifold.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
How trusting are you when it comes to bolting that thing onto a big block with an aluminum intake manifold? I find these intake lift deals kinda scary. I feel like its just gonna strip the small 5/16" studs out and boom exploded oilpan guts every where!

Maybe a sbf wouldn't be a big deal, but I would trust this more on a iron intake manifold.
I forget which magazine it was, but when they tested it they did it with the plate attached to an aluminum intake. And they used cheesy grade 2 bolts. Believe it or not, they didn't pull the threads out of the aluminum intake.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
OK, he asked to save the debate for another thread, lol.

As long as you know your welder and your welding you're all set. He used better steel by the looks than you would get from a purchased unit. Last Fall I found a bad grinder mark in one of the links of an engine lift chain that I'd been using for years! It scared the crap out of me, there was hardly anything left to that link! So, I welded it.

I also welded my rotisserie and built it to hold at least twice the weight I put on it so I dont have any problems being under it. Personally I'd rather get hurt from something within my control. If I bought a cheesy lift plate and it broke and crushed my foot or something I'd be pissed that I didnt take the time to build my own. Oh, I have two engine stands too. One crap Buffalo thing that I will only put short small blocks on. ...and a homemade one that has had a full dressed 440 on it.

Anyway, nice job on the plate! The only thing I might have done different was (and this is just because you used 3/8" steel on the lift plate), is to plug weld the 3/8" steel through holes in the intake plate from the back side first. Also might have stick welded it for a larger fillet. Looks plenty strong though!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am a bit more lazy. Instead of drilling three 1 3/8" holes in 3/8" stock I'd drill three 5/8" holes and use a clevis. Lookin' good!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great build thread, and it looks like a super lift plate. Not sure if I should say this, as I don't want to be negative, but I picked up one of these plates at a swap meet a few weeks ago....for 5 dollars

I know you can buy them cheap, but I have had a "Made In China" plate begin to crack where the vertical plate meets the bottom plate. The cheap one's also bend at the bottom plate as they are very thin. I like building my own parts and tools.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts