Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short of buying a $700 dollar dash gauge kit, 69 Mustang owners don't have many options when it comes to aftermarket gauges. Here is a cheap and really clean solution to the problem.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The pictures don't do the cluster justice. It's an ultra clean installation and very much matches the look of a 69 dash.

Parts you'll need:
1) Autometer 5288 Triple Gauge Mount $99
2) Autometer 2397 Triple Gauge Console $55
3) Assorted Grommets, connectors and fasteners

You'll need to remove your ashtray and lighter assembly from the vehicle. Once removed, attach the cluster to the bottom of the dash. While you can choose to use nuts n bolts, it's much easier to use Heavy Duty Mounting Tape instead.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Really nice job on the cluster but... you'll never be able to see the gauges very well while you're tooling down the road. Most gauges put the needle somewhere in the middle when the engine is running which is your most limited view since the gauges are pointing parallel the floor. The face needs to be tilted towards the driver to get any good use out of them. Have you thought about trying to make an enclosure that would fit between the two humps on the dashboard?

david

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,369 Posts
The bargain version is $35 at Summit.

Your local parts store may also have a triple gauge setup that appeals to you. Their brackets are usually chrome but can easily be painted flat black.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,369 Posts
If I may try and lend a hand? I believe a large part of the problem is that pictures are HUGE.
The finished product-

Installed 2

·
Registered
748 Posts
Clean looking, console cars would have an issue though.....
Yeah, wouldn't work with my console. I have seen some aftermarket formed gauge clusters that go into the ashtray area of the console but only have room for 2 gauges.

I'm really interested in seeing the dash cluster

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
People are still having trouble seeing your pictures.
I searched for this primer on posting pictures if it helps, Its by member Kenash:
Hi, it's easy once you learn. Follow this.....
After eating this comment, I scroll to "Go Advanced", click open.
Scroll to "Manage Attachments", click open.
You'll see "Choose File", this will take you to a browser where you can search for your pic. Once located, select the "upload" button. If, within the parameters, will load in "Current Attachments" section. As you can see, you can upload a number of pics.*
Select "Close this window". This will return you to this screen, where you can select "Preview post" from below, or, "Submit Reply".

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, wouldn't work with my console. I have seen some aftermarket formed gauge clusters that go into the ashtray area of the console but only have room for 2 gauges
I have that setup...shelby style from tony branda.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts