Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stripping my recently aquired '67 conv. and the build sheet I found taped to the main underdash harness is for another car (not even a 289) about 100 digits away from my VIN. By looking at the car, and from info from the PO, the car has never been rebuilt or restored. Withe the amount of dirt under the dash, it didn't look like the harness had ever been removed. I asked my father about this (he's worked at Dearborn Assembly since '66) if this could have happened from the factory and if so, how. He didn't have an answer. Has anyone else came across mixed up build sheets?

Thanks,

Chris Taylor

'67 Conv. 289 C-code Frost Turquise
'99 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
'01 Ford Escape (wife's car)

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Since it was tapped in place I can suggest one of three possiblities (well that is all I can come up with at the moment)

1. Ford messed up and an operator typed in the wrong VIN seq number on the build sheet

2. AT some point the owner replaced the wiring loom only to use a uded one for that other car

3. At the factory someone slapped in the wirign look that had been made for the other car. This happens from time to time with other items. Since up to a dozen of the sheets were produced and sent to remote parts of the plant so that workers could assemble the subassemblied the sheets were sometimes attached to the subassembly . The parts then traveled their way to the assembly are for another worker to pick out of a group and install on the correct car. You can sometimes find even the cars rotation number written on the front buckets and/or rear seats in an effort to identiy them for a particular car. Other times you might find a buildsheet placed between the cushion and springs .... just a place to get rid of the form and identify the part

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357.jpg

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
From where did you verify your VIN? You probably know, but anyway: not 100% sure about 67 but 65-66 have VIN not only on left inner fender but also on right side under outer fender, also the cowl has one under sealer (I think) on the left hand side. Does it otherwise match except consecutive number?

Door handle first when cornering

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arto65fb,

The vin on the dr door, dr fender, and under the pass. fender all match, and like I said, from every indication, the car has never been touched. Sure, someone could replace parts and do the job right, but they would have a hard time putting 34 years of dirt in certain spots.

I guess it's really no big deal that the build sheet is wrong. I was just expecting it to match when I unfolded it.

Chris Taylor

'67 Conv. 289 C-code Frost Turquise
'99 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
'01 Ford Escape (wife's car)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts