Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an early, April built 64 1/2. can anyone tell me if there is one location where the build sheets were put most often ?
i've looked under the carpet & seats & behind the interior rear quarter panels.
haven't looked at the wiring harness yet. I've also heard of them being found inside the doors and under dashpads but don't know if that applies to April 64 built Dearborn cars ?

thanks for the help-

G

·
0 Posts
Good luck finding one. If you do find one in a Dearborn car, it will most likely be hand-written, just showing a list of options.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Still looking for the buildsheet in my'66 original Dearborn vert... I still haven't found one, and doubt I ever will... Check the VMF archive database...Much has been written on the subject.. You'll find most of your answers there as its been covered many times..

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found a build sheet in my 1966 Mustang, it was folded twice and rolled up, about the size of a cigarette butt, it was wedged into the main wiring harness behind the gauge cluster toward the right.. about half way between the gauge cluster and the radio. BINGO, was a nice surprise to find, 50 years after the fact.

·
Premium Member
9,648 Posts
I found a build sheet in my 1966 Mustang, it was folded twice and rolled up, about the size of a cigarette butt, it was wedged into the main wiring harness behind the gauge cluster toward the right.. about half way between the gauge cluster and the radio. BINGO, was a nice surprise to find, 50 years after the fact.

Which factory built your '66? Build Sheets and Buck Tags are common on the Metuchen (T) cars. Buck Tags are non-existent on Dearborn (F) and San Jose (R) cars and Build Sheets are very rare in them.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Most '65-'66 cars that have buildsheets found in them are Metuchen (Plant Code: T) built cars. It has to do with the procedures of the Plants. The San Jose and Dearborn Plants....just tossed the Buildsheets in a trashcan at the end of the Assembly lines. However, It has been my experience that for some reason, Some cars that were highly optioned sometimes have multiple buildsheets in them and have a much better chance of finding buildsheets in them than just a regular "run of the mill" car. This has been my experience. Lots of San Jose Shelbys have had Buildsheets found in them for example. On Most '65-'66 Dearborn cars.. Most buildsheets are never found. If you find a Buildsheet in a Dearborn or a San Jose car, Consider yourself extremely lucky....very lucky.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Some cars that were highly optioned sometimes have multiple buildsheets in them and have a much better chance of finding buildsheets in them than just a regular "run of the mill" car.
Who, on the assembly line, was the person who counted the number of options and then determined that the build sheet should should be left in the car or put in the trash can?

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I found one in a 65 behind the dash in the wiring harness, 1 in another 65 behind the carpet under the rear seat (toast but I could tell what it was), and 1 oddly enough 'inside' the passenger's seat of a '66 with pony interior. They were still original seat covers, so I'm assuming it was in there from the go? It's been long enough ago that I don't recall which plants they came from, but most around here that I get are all Dearborn built.

·
Administrator
19,448 Posts
Very rare to find a build sheet in a Dearborn-built car. My original owner coupe doesn't have one.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I, luckily, found 2 in my November 22 scheduled Metuchen '66. I say luckily because the one under the back seat bottom between the springs and the burlap was hardly readable (second picture). The readable one, I found under the dash. I found both of these in 1978 when I started redoing my '66, and stored them in protective sleeves in a notebook, where they remained until scanning became available.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
"Who, on the assembly line, was the person who counted the number of options and then determined that the build sheet should should be left in the car or put in the trash can? "

I believe it has to do with how the cars were handled....that Higher Optioned cars most likely received "Extra Attention" and went to certain areas...possibly even being pulled off the assembly line at some point and they left the Buildsheets in for some reason on these Higher Optioned cars. As I said earlier, (This has only been my experience).....in stripping almost 150 '65-'66 cars in a 31 year period.

Here's a "K" Code Built Sheet below from example.... Notice, It's from a '66 Dearborn car...and not only that, but Two Build Sheets as well were left in the car. I can probably count on two hands the number of times that I've seen a Dearborn '65-'66 Build Sheet...and almost every time it was a highly optioned car... Coincidence?!? You tell me..

Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I believe it has to do with how the cars were handled....that Higher Optioned cars most likely received "Extra Attention" and went to certain areas...possibly even being pulled off the assembly line at some point and they left the Buildsheets in for some reason on these Higher Optioned cars. As I said earlier, (This has only been my experience).....in stripping almost 150 '65-'66 cars in a 31 year period.
Per your comments in yellow, do you have any evidence you can provide? I’m just hoping to learn more about the construction process.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Well, then I direct you to Bob Fria's Book then...."Mustang Genesis".....or Kevin Marti's Book "The Mustang and Cougar TagBook"... There's enough in Both books than you'll ever want or need to know about Early Mustangs or Ford Assembly line processes in your lifetime.

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Well, then I direct you to Bob Fria's Book then...."Mustang Genesis".....or Kevin Marti's Book "The Mustang and Cougar TagBook"... There's enough in Both books than you'll ever want or need to know about Early Mustangs or Ford Assembly line processes in your lifetime.

I have Bob’s book (yeah, that’s my thumb). Great book that I have had for a while, along with MANY others. Looked through Kevin’s book - good book, but I didn’t see a need to get it.

Again, where can I find more info on who decided cars with more options had the build sheet left in the car vs. the trash can?

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Get Kevin's (Marti's)Book. It's worth every penny. You don't know what you're missing if you haven't really read it. Lots of excellent info in there. Also, Good to see you have Fria's book. It's excellent and very informative reading..especially since they (Ford) gave Fria Full access to the Ford Archives...documents and files that the General Public does not have access to. Would have been a bit nicer if Fria would have included more pics in the book, but what I know of Bob, He printed what he found. All in all, It was a great read. The Marti Tagbook is a "Must Have" IMHO.... I've gone to that book just to look up tags, and Carb numbers and Rear End Part numbers more times than I can count. Kevin writes a lot of info in there on Plant processes as well...basically why some things were done the way they were and so forth. It's excellent.

"Again, where can I find more info on who decided cars with more options had the build sheet left in the car vs. the trash can?"

Jump in a Delorean, Hit 88Mph, and Ask the guys working on the Dearborn Assembly line in '65-'66 why they did what they did....Who knows... I only know what the end results are...We can only ponder as to why they did certain things the way they did. Note the words used in the Original post if you go back to it was "possibly".....not "definitely".....and "My experience" and not CSI concrete evidence as to why Dearborn buildsheets were left in highly optioned cars.... I'm only going on what's been found in Dearborn cars...because in the end...That's all just about what anyone can go on...

Tony K.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts