Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Why doesn't somebody find an old Ford assembly line worker and ask him? I've often wondered why nobody has made a serious effort that I am aware to find those guys and interview them. You'd better hurry though as they're bound to be getting old now.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Efforts have been made....serious ones too...even as far back as the 1980's with Donald Farr and Jim Smart....The problem is all of people moved on with their lives and went to other jobs and 30, 40 and now 50+ years on...and unfortunately, Most people have very foggy memories on the minute details that we really want to know about. I think Jeff Speegle and Kevin Marti conducted some interviews of past Ford Assembly line employees but unfortunately the answers to most questions were pretty generic for the most part, however, some info was gained that was not previously known. At this moment in time, If they haven't had people step forward after the 50th Anniversary a few years ago, the chances are that those that are still living and breathing on this planet, most never never will. I would say the most info that you are going to find is already out there. Once in awhile every few years though we get surprised and something is found in a filebox or "Pops-up" by chance.... A case in point is concerning ALL THE INFO concerning all of the Ford cars built by KAR KRAFT such as BOSS 429's and Boss 302's, '68-'70 Shelbys, Cougar Eliminators and so forth.. Most of the Kar Kraft internal data was thought "Lost".... As it turned out, The highly valuable data was unearthed by the Kar Kraft Head Plant's Manager's son. His mother had literally thrown it out in the garbage (boxes already on the curb awiting garbage pickup or for anyone else walking by) and he just happened to "Stop By" his father's house (who has already passed). He just by chance, luckily saw all the boxes on the curb and picked up and grabbed every one. Thank God. He was the only one in the family that cared about his father's things. Now we have just about all of the KAR KRAFT Production data that existed. His other brother had no interest in cars whatsoever. Stuff like this does happen, though it is rare....It can happen. There was an entire write-up on the story in Mustang Monthly a few years ago. It was a great article. It's probably out on the web of the Mustang Monthly webpage somewhere. I think that it was in a 2013 MM issue....I don't remember the month of the issue...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Why doesn't somebody find an old Ford assembly line worker and ask him? I've often wondered why nobody has made a serious effort that I am aware to find those guys and interview them. You'd better hurry though as they're bound to be getting old now.
There have been plenty of old Ford assembly line workers interviewed and the processes understood. There is no real mystery as to how everything went together. The only real problem is current revisionist or inaccurate history that doesn’t accurately portray what actually took place.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have found several build sheets in my mustangs over the years, but the only Dearborn sheet I ever found was in my HiPo. Having several options, besides being a HiPo, may explain it. Mine was under the driver seat. I was replacing the factory carpet around 1979. I could barely read the info. I don't have any idea where the sheet is now. Maybe next time I move, I'll make an effort to put all that junk in one spot. Florida used to have vehicle inspections and the last time I saw that sheet I was replacing the factory glove box cardboard and I put the build sheet and the inspection sheets,,,,,somewhere?

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
"The only real problem is current revisionist or inaccurate history that doesn’t accurately portray what actually took place. "

The worst I'd have to say are some of the many published books out there (Some 30+ years still in print!)...that keeps recycling the same inaccurate info and still causes confusion and actual arguments at MCA events between Car owners and MCA Judges...lol... Not much you can do... If the book is over 30 years old...Are they "Retro-Revisionists"....?????!??

Damn those "Revisionists"!!! - To the Gallows with them!

:eek:)

Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
A funny story on my 66 GT. When I bought the car (about 2 1/2 years ago), I knew it was a true GT because it had the buck tag still attached with the PIO stamped in it. But I REALLY wanted to find the build sheet so I could know as much as possible about how the car was originally built (options and such).

Well since I was doing a complete restoration, I tore everything apart, seats, carpet, headliner, dash, wiring harness, door panels, etc.. Alas, no build sheet. I was somewhat heart broken that I couldn't find it but realized there were details I just would more than likely never know about the car.

So I continued on taking things apart and one day took the ashtray out. Lo and behold, the previous owner had found the build sheet and put it in the ashtray. A joyous moment for me and with the work that Pete Bush (and others over at Concours Mustang)) have put in to deciphering the build sheets, I now know much more about my car.

Don't ever give up...

Allen

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts