Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has offered to trade a 67 Tilt Column for my 69 Tilt. So if I do this, I need to make sure I get absolutely everything needed as I don't want to hunt down parts after I got everything torn apart. I have no idea of what else should come with the column, except maybe the vacuum canister and wire harness. Also, I am installing factory power steering and factory power disk brakes as well, if that makes a difference.

Can someone help provide me with a "Parts List" of what is needed? Especially if you have a Tilt or maybe if you have already gone through installing a factory tilt in your 67.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I replaced the 68-69 column that came in my 67 with a proper 67 column and it took awhile to figure it all out. The key here is understanding what you need and what, if anything, is NOT included in your trade. For the "what you need issue", look at the factory service manual or one of those 67-69 Tilt away column repair reprints that are frequently offered on that auction site for twice their retail price!

Generally, you'll need the column including the turn signal switch (with the proper 67 connector plug) and lever and the emergency flasher button. This will get you a functional tilt column.

To attach it to you car you'll need a short shaft steering box and a rag joint as well as the lower dash mounting bracket and the firewall mounting bracket and seal.

For the tilt-away feature, you'll need the under hood vacuum canister and check valve, the under dash vacuum solenoid, the vacuum actuating piece that attaches to the release rod inside the column, the wiring harness, including the neutral start safety release plunger and bracket (similar to the door plunger switch), the neutral start wiring splice harness, the door jamb plunger switch, the tilt relay and bracket and the vacuum hoses to connect all the vacuum components together. If I've left anything out, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will fill in any gaps. Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts