Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As time is expiring before going back to classes at the university I am thinking of spending this last week building a shop press out of an old 6 ton bottle jack and some spare steel. Couldnt sleep tonight and I just thought this up.. Maybe I am just thinking crazy and need a good rest.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I think it might be a weaker 2 ton jack. Would this even be enough for small in-home car repairs? Would this even be necessary? I usually just hammer crap in HAHA.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I agree with Pat. Unless you're looking at forming small parts like brackets
in thin sheet metal even 5 tons isn't much!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Enough said. I will focus on something else and keep hammering and using the vise to press small stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Don't give up so soon...
I built my own press out of scrap metal I had laying around. It has gotten me through rebuilding a T5, a Muncie and an 8.8 gear swap. I haven't got any pictures right now since it's in storage. I built it only because I didn't need to spend anything extra since it's out of stock that was given to me or parts I already had. If you need to spend $50, then save yourself the time and buy one from harbor freight for something like $100.

·
Registered
12,305 Posts
Speaking of, how do you guys USE your press, and what sort of things/attachments do you use? I have a small 8 ton H-press and haven't found much to do with it. Except pressing some bushings on and off, and even then I have to rig up crazy contraptions to make it fit.. :lol:

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I don't have any pictures up, but I use my press for all kinds of things. It's a C-frame (open-jaw) which has a fixed 30 ton hand press for the H-frame area (typical press) and a 24" stroke powered 10 ton press for the open jaw area. I make jigs to form u-bolts, brackets, press materials into molds, and hydrodyamic test smaller hydraulic cylinders. Most of the time it's used to press/remove bearings and bushings, straighten hydraulic rods and broach internal keyways.

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts