Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm going to replace all of the lighting on my restomod but I'm a little confused on which bulb to use. The park/turn in the front and the brake/tail/turn light in the back is fairly straight forward - 1157 duel element/duel contact (either incandescent or LED). Its the back-up lights that puzzle to me. I ordered new complete assemblies. They came with duel contact sockets. I assumed they would be single contacts. I took off the lense and pulled out the bulb on one of the back-up lights and sure enough they are duel contact sockets. But the bulb I pulled was single contact. Now I know the PO could have put in the wrong bulb but all research I've done indicates the correct bulb for the back-up lights are 1142s. Now here is where the real confusion sets in - I have seen 1142 bulbs with both single and duel contacts for sale.
Are the assemblies I received wrong? Surely a single contact bulb will not work properly with a duel contact socket will it? I'm going to go all LED but I need to find out what I should use. HELP!! :shrug:

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
1142 is a dual contact bulb, single filament. You're probably seeing pics of the bulb from the side, where it looks like there is a single contact.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LMA1142

The single contact bulb you removed was probably an 1156, which is used on later Mustangs for the backup lamp bulb. They share the same base with the pins at the same height. Take a look at what you removed, there should be a number stamped into the base, or etched on the globe.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
First off...You spell Dual... D-U-A-L ......Meaning Two of something. A "Duel" is when two people swordfight or have a gunfight...Same sound, Different word, Different meaning.

Ok, Now to your issue.

Follow this Bulb Chart... or Pages 46 and 47 in your 1966 Owner's Manual.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off...You spell Dual... D-U-A-L ......Meaning Two of something. A "Duel" is when two people swordfight or have a gunfight...Same sound, Different word, Different meaning.

Ok, Now to your issue.

Follow this Bulb Chart... or Pages 46 and 47 in your 1966 Owner's Manual.
Thanks professor!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts