Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crawled under the 67 this morning to see about taking the single six cylinder exhaust off. The pipes are welded, the muff is welded, the hangers are welded. Its not going to be a sawzall through the bend over the axle pipe and pull it out.

Anyway, Im thinking about pulling the 67 rear end and installing a 65 rear end for a more favorable 15x7 3.75BS TTD wheel fitment.

I see this giant tab sticking out of the bumpstop. Whats that for and can I cut it off?

Im not so sure the 65 rear end is going to work. At 1" narrower per side: A 15x7 wheel with a 3.75" BS turns into a 15x7 wheel with 4.75" BS.

The pic shows the 14x6 GT steel wheel with 4" BS.

Opinion?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I had to cut that ear off the rear of my 70 when running a 17x8 rim with 5.75 BS and a 3/4 adapter.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I cut mine off as well merely because I didn’t like the look. My suspicion was that was how they stamped it and it served no valid reason to take the time to clean it up but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Don't do it! Those are the rare late 67 pieces and they aren't being reproduced!

Ok, seriously though I just had to post because it looks like yours are different than mine. My bump stops have tabs on the front and back too, and yours looks like it's only got the tab on the outside. I'm not sure if it means anything, or if it just proves that the tabs aren't necessary and can be cut off with no problem.

Here's what mine look like from the outside:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts