Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted tips on ignition advance, now I'd like to find out if anyone has their initial timing bumped up, particularly those with cammed up engines.

Also do you have any starting probs with your timing spec?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
with the 429 I have it way up, i am at 22 degrees initial 40 total. No problem. With the CLeveland I could only go 16 at the most without spark Knock. But I had to go with a bigger battery. it only had a 450cold crank battery in it. I went with 1000 cc no problem.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I'm running 14* initial & 34* total, all in by 2500. No starting problems.

5.0 shortblock, Aluminum TurboSwirl GT40 heads, and E303 roller cam 282*/.498. The E303 likes 14/16 of inital timing (according to the late-model guys), and the heads are "fast burning", hence the seemingly low total, but that's where it makes best WOT power.....I do also run vacuum advance for part-throttle response.

I was 16* initial - the car started fine, but had some run-on when shutoff.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have a 351w with it bumped up to 12 initial. Any higher and it pings and loses power with the 10.7:1 compression. I also had to limit my centrifugal advance to about 30 degrees total advance, any higher and it will ping. I also have vacuum advance too. That will advance the timing another few degrees or so above the 30. All in all, it has only taken me a couple of months to re-tune my distributor so that my engine will run up smoothly AND not ping.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
10* degrees mechanical, 5* (+/-) vacuum
I don't set initial, total is 38*
9.2/1 C.R. 392W

Kicks back sometimes, but I'm satisfied with the performance.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
i posted a question about five speed behind a big block and i tried the search just as you suggested and it came up empty. i went back a year and still nothing. since you seem to be the post police maybe you could give me a couple of links to those answers. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts