Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a lot of the comments in years past, I had decided that rechroming my bumpers was the only way to go. Well, a few weeks ago I was looking at a 69 Mustang restomod and asked about the very nice rear bumper, thinking it was a refinished original. Turns out it was new and front and rear together ran less than $300. Guy doing the work said reproductions have gone way up in quality and that is all he uses unless someone insists on original. Fit and finish as nice as original.

Well, I got an estimate on mine, $650 a piece! Checked on new, about $250 for the set. $1300 vs $250....hmmm

Anyone have any opinion on recent production?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have a new repro (NPD's best) rear bumper for the 65- it was pretty cheap and looks awesome.
I have an original on the 69 vert- it was rechromed by prev owner- I used it cause its original- and looks shiny- the chrome isn't as good as the repro- there is what looks like grinding marks or sanding scratches below the chrome. I have no idea who did it (there was a shopping cart company here locally and I have heard storys about back door items getting chromed so may be they did it) but it was cheap looking. FWIW

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Rick's bumpers at NPD are great quality. I bought my last set for the '66 fb- Golden Legion maybe as I recall, and they were really nice. The fit was spot on, and the chrome looked to be good quality. For the pricing- I'd use Rick's in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I’ve used the dynacorn in the shop on the 65-66 and 71-73 cars. They look great. Can’t comment on longevity. Shoot you a price if your interested Daniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The Golden Legion '65-'66 Bumpers from NPD are excellent. I highly recommend them. I was over impressed with their quality if you can believe that..

Don't know about the '69-'70 Bumpers...or the '67-'68 Bumpers....

You'll have to wait for responses from people who have installed them.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I don't care for any of my re pop 69-70 bumpers and I have many of them. But my cars are either drivers or go fast cars so can't justify sending them off to a "GOOD" chrome shop as the Vette's were like a thousand bucks and equal sized. If anyone knows of a good re pop please let us know. I was going to go Anvil for a build, but they drug their feet so badly with me and Phil's build without quality to support price.

·
Vendor
3,580 Posts
Our bumpers are manufactured by Yeou Wei (YW), and are distributed to us via Golden Legion. They truly are the best bumpers out there, I've looked at them all.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
One of my biggest regrets is selling my originals for a set of Nordan’s.
Every time I look at the repops I wish I would have paid the bucks for rechroming the originals.
I wonder if any of the repops do a proper copper, nickel, chrome process, most I have seen are just “flash” chromed, cheap, cheap, cheap.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of my biggest regrets is selling my originals for a set of Nordan’s.
Every time I look at the repops I wish I would have paid the bucks for rechroming the originals.
I wonder if any of the repops do a proper copper, nickel, chrome process, most I have seen are just “flash” chromed, cheap, cheap, cheap.
I have kind of settled on going with some repops from NPD but keep the originals on the shelf "just in case"

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I just got a new Dynacorn front paintable bumper a few days ago for my 67. I haven't installed it yet, I want to get it powder coated. I will check fitment before I do the coating though, just need to find the time.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I have replaced both my bumpers with the quality ones from NPD. Haven't heard any compliments on them, but I'm very satisfied with how they fit and look. I would buy them again.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
One of the things I probably WILL do before installing my new, aftermarket bumpers is to mask the faces and spray the back side with Master Series Silver.
I brushed “Tremclad” on the innerside of mine when I got them, it’s a Canadian paint similar to Rustoleum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts