Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just purchased a 1966 fastback and wants to know who has the best quality bumpers(needs front and rear)
I appreciate the feedback!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
they are all junk made by the same people in the country of taiwan apex parts are all the same might be a different name on the box golden legion, dynacorn who ever still made by the same taiwan company

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
+1, total crap from one manufacturer. I bought a new rear rear for my 65 about 7 years ago and it fit very well. Last year, after an AH backed into me, I replaced it with another repro. Total POS. I'm contemplating R&R-ing my old repro.

·
Registered
267 Posts
they are all junk made by the same people in the country of taiwan apex parts are all the same might be a different name on the box golden legion, dynacorn who ever still made by the same taiwan company
Huge 10-4 on that! Unless you really don't care what the bumpers are going to look like, I would search for decent cores and go the bucks to have them chromed... just my two cents.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Yes, Nordan has been going downhill in the past few years unfortunately... But really...Who else is there?? Nobody.

A re-chrome is really the best bet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, Nordan has been going downhill in the past few years unfortunately... But really...Who else is there?? Nobody.

A re-chrome is really the best bet.

Yup, and then good luck finding the correct bumper bolts! I went around in circles with everyone on this issue, including the good folks at AMK, who by the way, have the closest to correct bumper bolts. With the exception of one paint job, which I put on the car, the old Hugger Mugger (early Metuchen build) is 100% original including the bumpers and bolts and I'll be damned if every bumper bolt out there is larger in diameter than what was on my car. Like I said, the AMK's were the closest, but even those were slightly larger. I have measured photos around here somewhere comparing their bolts and my originals (from one of our many emails back and forth), but their response was that no one else ever complainted about them.....
Fred

·
Registered
36,825 Posts
Last I heard Nordan had outsourced their bumpers to Asia. I believe they no longer make Mustang bumpers.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
YEARS ago Nordan was a nice bumper. I put Nordans on my 66 when I restored it. 18 years later they still look nice. Fit was great too. Best bet is to have a good OEM core re-plated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So who are some good platers that any have experience with here? Any idea on cost? I still have my original pitted bumpers.

·
Premium Member
7,767 Posts
That's a shame about the comments regarding the Nordan bumpers. I purchased mine in the late 90s for my resto and they still "rock". I guess they will become my cores, if necessary in the future.
This hobby is getting more and more difficult!

·
Registered
36,825 Posts
Not necessarily. Glazier/Nolan still manages to turn out nice restorations, you might ask them what they've been using on those cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts