Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently rebuilt my entire frontend using global west upper and lower control arms, fat swaybar, stiffer springs and so on.. also limited the slop in steering with a manual conversion kit.

well the car handles great, but when driving 50 and up on non highways and 65 and up on highways, I really got to hold on to my steering wheel, cause every bump or uneven part of the road tends to bump my car sideways a little.

how can i cure this, the car goes nice and straight without wandering, but only on a really smooth surface.

well, I've heard bout a bumpsteer corrector kit, but also heard that global wests stuff allready should have an "inbuilt" remedy for this? ::
oh, car is aligned correctly too.

anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!! :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had this trouble a long time ago too.Even an alignment shop couldn't figure it out.For the car not to bumpsteer,the upper controll arm ball-joint centerline has to match with the lower cont.arm C/L. If this is way out of adjustment,,,,the car will be all over the road on dips and hills.Another thing that causes it is shock towers that have been "twisted" ,,,,either due to rust out,,,or someone killed the brakes to avoid an accident.I see these a LOT at my shop,,,,first things i check before doing ANY front-end work on a Mustang.It is possible to take a lot of that out of a twisted shock tower,,,most of the time by shimming the upper arm till it is straight again,,,similar as the alignment on the 65-66's.The strut-rods will help some,,,but i think you need to look at your towers and verify integrity and alignment there to be safe..Hope this helps some. Kaiser

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The Granada swap isn't compatible with Global West set-ups.
These guys might be able to explain what is going on. http://www.drgas.com/promotor/products.html They have a bump steer kit.

Did you talk to GW?
I would be interested myself as I have a total Global West suspension on the Clone Vert. (Hasn't been out in the real world yet).

Keep us informed

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
There's really no way GW could have an 'inbuilt' cure for bumpsteer, too many variables. . . Bumpsteer is a change in TOE as the suspension travels. What you've done is change the suspension, probably lowering it, and left the steering at stock height. So, assuming the problem is bumpsteer, a bumpsteer kit is an easy way to change the height of the tie rods (changing the height of the steering rack in relation to the front suspension). The adjustment the bumpsteer kit allows should minimize or eliminate change in toe as the suspension travels. . .

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
As others have asked, what spindles/brakes are you running???

ANY of the "modified" (GW, TCP, etc) control arms will probably result in increased bumpsteer tendencies, especially when combined with fat, sticky tires. Bumpsteer was marginal from the factory, but the skinny OE tires didn't have much grip, so it wasn't as noticable. Modern tires GRIP instead of slide, and agressive alignment settings will also make the bumpsteer more apparent.

Put a floor jack under your front crossmember. Jack the car up 3 inches or so. Are the tires pointing "in" towards each other? If so, you have bumpsteer.

There's 2 different kits out there - adjustable and non-adjustable. I like the Baer adjustables myself...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hope you can stand to read all this, mind my english, I'm swedish.
forgot before.. at sometime in cars past it has been involved in some light accident.
cause drivers side shocktower where slightly bent inwards - like someone had hit something hard with drivers-fronttire.
BUT, that was corrected with a port-o-power and then the "shocktower reinforcement kit" was welded in place.
after that, of my measurements I could not tell that anything was out of place. then installed a export brace that were a tight fit.

before my frontend rebuild I had no idea of the accident/distorted shocktower, cause car didnt handle suspicious in any way.

I have original spindles with original discbrakes.
car is lowered about 2inches+ the global-west recomended a-arm drop.
my alignment shop asked if I "drive the car fast" yeah, sure -I said, so he then told me he'd increase the toe-in a little for more stability at higher speeds -thats what he said.

can that have something to do with it? i dont know. ::
thanks for all replys ::

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
If everyone measures upright then I'd say a bumpsteer kit is in order. The 2"+ drop pretty much requires it. Deflection in the strut rod bushings can also cause the problems you describe. Were they replaced? If the speed limit in Sweden is anywhere near what it is in Germany (I lived there for 3 years) then I'd invest in some heim joint struts. They will eliminate that sway you probably experience on hard braking. www.streetortrack.com has the best deal on these.

BTW, your english is excellent. You're way ahead of most of the people here in the USA. ::

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow ::Thanks!
that's really nice to say!
yeah those streetortrack-struts looks really nice, someday when my wallet's recovered, I'll buy them :D

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts