Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I didn't install a bung but I did install a 1/8" pipe thread plug. Works great!

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Oh yeah, "No bung for me" (soup nazi voice) either! There was enough steel in the center section to tap the threads.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Great idea , get right on it .
Oops , already have a drain on the early 9" in my stang .
Does make it easier to change on a regular basis .

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
'just making surei am understanding correctly...

You guys are putting a drain plug in the steel housing or the cast iron carrier (pumpkin)?

Exactly what are you using for the plug? I wish I had thought of this when I had my diff apart last December. It sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
mark_3x67 said:
'just making surei am understanding correctly...

You guys are putting a drain plug in the steel housing or the cast iron carrier (pumpkin)?

Exactly what are you using for the plug? I wish I had thought of this when I had my diff apart last December. It sounds like a great idea.

Use a generic pipe plug.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
1/8" brass pipe plug (square head type) in the steel section, not the pumpkin.

There is quite a bit of gear oil that is trapped in the housing when you remove the pumpkin. This drain plug location allows that fluid to drain....

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I had a bottom drain plug installed when my 9" was rebuilt. The rebuilder even welded a small shield to guard road debris from hitting the drain bolt. It definitely make servicing the rear much easier.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have seen it done both ways. My preference was to use the weld-in bung...much stronger and you don't have to worry about a jack doing any damage to a pipe plug...which can happen when putting a jack under the housing. The rear of the car is a lot of weight to put on the threads in steel housing. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
765 Posts
In the early years, Ford installed drain plugs in the rear end housings from the factory. 1957 was the first year for the 9-inch rear end, and all those rear end housings came from the factory with a 3/8" pipe plug installed in the bottom (sump) of the housing.

Many '58 and '59 9-inch models had them too but after that, Ford pretty much quit installing them for whatever reason.

'57 Ford 9-inch station wagon large bearing housing on left, '59 Fairlane 9-inch small bearing housing in middle, '60 T-Bird 9-inch large bearing housing on right"
http://ultrastang.com/Images/Scanned/Rears/20-s.jpg

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Dan
I don't have on in mine but from my buddy that build diff's. He replied just like Steve. and make it as level as possible for better draining.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
oooo aluminum chunk

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Henry,
I saw your pic and wanted to know how much is hanging below the rear end? I have purchase a moroso bung whihc looks like this:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mor-23970_w.jpg

It looks long and thought about removing ~ 1/4" so it would remove the most amount of oil and still keep it somewhat flush with the bottom of the pan ~ It appears that it would hang down about 1/4" then and still be about 1/4" internally higher within the pumpkin. I hope I said that correctly and clearly.

Also, I don't own a hex head that large and thought about welding up a couple of bolts end to end in order to open close it. Sound OK?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts