Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the funeral of a man I have known for 16 years today. Still kind of in denial. He was one of the biggest hearted men I have ever known. He ran a Christian thrift store, and gave away more than he sold. He spent untold hours praying for people, talking them through problems, paying for motel rooms for them to stay in when they had no place to go, making huge Thanksgiving dinners and picking up the homeless and bringing them in to eat it. The local churches would send people in need to him instead of taking care of them themselves. He never turned anyone away, never counted the cost to himself.

He died Wednesday at 64 years of age in a second round of cancer. I wish I could say that I had the ability to walk in his shoes. After serving so many, so well, for so long, it was heartbreaking to see less than fifty people show up for his funeral, out of the absolutely thousands of lives he touched. Sometimes I just don't get it.

I guess the good news is he was with his Saviour today, and I spent a long road trip with the top down and the sun shining while I reminisced about him and prayed for him. In the end I suppose it was a good day. I will truly miss him, he was a very good man.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Amen. Your memory of him does him proud. Sorry for your and our loss. People like your friend are rare on this planet.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm sure your prayers for this friend were just a bonus. It sounds like he paved a pretty good road to Heaven on his own. (Athough we all need a prayer said for us once in a while.) I feel your greif. Thanks for sharing his story.

JB

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Sounds like a great man to have touched so many lives in a positive way. You were fortunate to have know such a person and your words do him honor.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,219 Posts
He received his reward the second he breathed his last in this world. I feel for your sorrow at his lost, but I rejoice in his eternal joy....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Your story about you and your friend moved me. It is the blessed of us that can see the needs of others in the context of the assistance they have to offer. The only thanks they ask is that their gift be accepted. I don't think God ask us much more than to accept what he has to offer. There will always be men and women like your friend; only God knows how they are chosen, but they are certainly chosen through their heart. Give thanks to God for the gift given you of having such a friend, and the gift to recognize what you have seen.

·
7,051 Posts
Hey Rod,
Sorry for your loss. Happy for his gain. It makes a night-and-day difference when the one who is gone has died in Christ. Still, I'm sure you will miss your friend. Sorry.

Phil

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Yes, Those kind of people don't come into our lives very often. God gives some people the gift to do just what your Friend was able to do.
The memory of your friend will live long and happy in your mind, Someday you will see him again. Praise God!

·
Registered
182 Posts
real touching story! you will probably find out that alot of people didn`t even now his was sick or had died (maybe)that`s why only fifty people showed up at his funeral-but hey!the important thing is you had a chance to know him and call him a friend- He was oblivously a postive influence in your life ---------------------------- my condolences

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
live each day as if it were your last, one day you will be right.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It is good to know that his trust was in Christ.
His example should be an encouragment to us to do the same. Thanks for sharing.

Stan

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are very rare indeed. Thanks for your encouraging words Mark.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Jeff. And you are right, I wish mine was paved so well....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do consider myself fortunate Lou, he was a rare individual..

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Frank, I appreciate your note.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Scotty...I could not agree more.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Russ. You are absolutely right. He was...and is, a gift.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will miss him, but the day was more of a celebration of his "promotion" than a sadness at his death. His wife is very much at peace and knows where he is and Who he sits with today. What a blessing for her. Thanks Phil.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I certainly hope to, although I am willing to wait awhile if the Lord is willing. Thanks Tony.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts