Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while since I posted (spending more of my time on the Mach 1 sites since selling the Fastback) but I wanted to pass the word that my good friend Bob Jones of Seneca passed away last Saturday at the age of 50 (sudden heart attack). I think Ken in Wilmington may be the only one to have met Bob but he had a gold 1968 California Special that he showed at the Morris cruise nights and the Bourbonnais show a couple of times. Bob and I met at the first Morris cruise night a few years ago where he was showing his Cal Special and I my 65 Fastback. We hit it off and became Mustang buddies right away, attending cruises and shows together several times a year. The last show we attended together was the Volo Shelby show last summer as Bob was usually unable to make too many Sunday shows because he was a deacon in his church and usually settled on the Morris cruises as they were on Saturday nights. The weekend before last when the weather was perfect I was able to drive the Mach 1 for the first time in 2 months. As Bob's home in Seneca is only 15 miles from me naturally I chose that as my destination and I was able to pick Bob up and take him for a ride. Little did I know that would be our last ride together as we discussed our future Mustang plans (as well as our family and church as always). It was quite an honor that I was asked by his family to follow Bob's Mustang to lead his funeral procession to the cemetary yesterday. It saddens me that this year he won't be with me at the cruises and the shows although my wife and I hope to get Bob's wife Eileen out as we think it will be good therapy for her. Fortunately Bob left his family in a manageable position and his daughter will be able to finish college as Bob had wanted. I guess the reason I posted this was to ask each of you to take a moment to think of your own life and be sure to live it to its fullest, take care of yourself and your family, and plan for the future. Bob was fifteen years my senior but I considered him like a brother and I know I will never see a Mustang again without thinking of him.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Mark - Sorry to hear about your friend Bob. I had a cousin pass away this week from a sudden heart attack as well. Her husband kissed her when he left for work in the morning and found her in the same place when he got home. She was also 50 years old.

It does make you stop and think how things can change so quickly. Enjoy life everyday, as it may be your last.

It's great that you were able to spend some time with Bob before he left.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul for the kind words. He was a pretty cool guy and his death has kind of shook me up a bit. I lost my Dad too soon as well (he died at age 60 back in 1995) and there was a real parallel between the two that I didn't really notice until this week as both were compassionate, interesting men that had strong leadership roles in their church. I am comforted by the fact that they are both in a better place but there is quite a void to fill back on earth. I'm hoping to take the Mustang to more shows this year and I hope I can meet another meaningful friend like Bob, because that's what made them so enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Mark,
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Yes, I agree you only have a certain amount of time in this world, you need to live your life to the fullest. God bless him and his family, and you.
Randy

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mark,
I'm really sorry to hear about Bob. I went to Morris for a cruise night in 2004 and parked in your Mustang corral (Ford Dealer). That night we (wife & kids) walked the street and came across a gold 68 California Special. We had to make sure we stopped to say hi and we loved the car. I don't remember the guys name but I'm sure now that it was Bob. He was a very friendly guy and was there with his family. Our prayers go out to the Jones family.

Paul,
Sorry to hear about your cousin as well. It's stories like these that make you step back and think about your own life and family. We get so caught up in the day to day and life just passes bye. Our prayers are with your cousin's family as well.
Take care,
Jeff (& Dawn).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mark Sorry to hear of the loss. It makes us realize the importance of family and what we do with the time we are allowed on this earth. Your next show you do put a little note of dedication to your friend and invite his family to participate in rememberance and honor of your friend. Pass our condolences to his family as well. Dave

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark,
I'm really sorry to hear about Bob. I went to Morris for a cruise night in 2004 and parked in your Mustang corral (Ford Dealer). That night we (wife & kids) walked the street and came across a gold 68 California Special. We had to make sure we stopped to say hi and we loved the car. I don't remember the guys name but I'm sure now that it was Bob. He was a very friendly guy and was there with his family. Our prayers go out to the Jones family.
That was Bob. He was so dedicated to his church that he wouldn't miss Saturday Mass (he was a deacon and usually preached) but as soon as it was over he hightailed it to Morris. Unfortunately the Pony Corral that night was too popular to save a space for him (that was when we celebrated the 40th Anniversary and we were fortunate to have Gary Traverso's 66 GT350H and a 68 GT500KR anchor the lot) and I was bummed we couldn't park together. On most of the other cruises we only had three cars in that lot--mine, Ken's, and Bob's--so this year it will be sad without Bob but I'm hoping his wife Eileen will take it out so we can keep the tradition alive.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark Sorry to hear of the loss. It makes us realize the importance of family and what we do with the time we are allowed on this earth. Your next show you do put a little note of dedication to your friend and invite his family to participate in rememberance and honor of your friend. Pass our condolences to his family as well. Dave
I've actually thought about getting the photo montage that was being offered here recently of his Cal Special for Bob's wife but I want to be sure it's something she'd approve of first. I plan on permanently incorporating something on my Mach's display as well because he did mean so much to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mark,
This is Tiffany. I just want to thank you and everyone else for all of your support and condolences. My brother came across this a few days after you had posted it but I needed a little time before I responded. My dad loved his California Special and loved going to shows and cruises. This was one hobby that I shared with him. I will always remember the last show we went to at Volo. It was so much fun. A couple days after you stopped by he told me that you guys were planning on going to that show again. I was so excited as was he. I would love to go with you and take his car if thats ok. I won't let his car just sit in the garage because I know that he would want us to drive it. I've already told my mom that we will go to the cruises. I hope we will still be able to park next to you. Thanks again.
Tiffany

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey kiddo, sent you a PM with my email address. Volo still looks to be a go. Say hello to your Mom and enjoy school!

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts