Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a Shelby clone with a new ford base steering column from Ididit. There are now six 1157 tail light bulbs and when I apply the brakes the turn signal switch is overloading and melts till failure. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You will likely need a relay or switch them to LEDs. Given that you have done the work to add the sockets. I would consider the 1157 led replacements. I've had good luck with the lamps sold by west coast cougar. If you only convert the tail lights to LED you should not need to change the flasher. The other lamps will provide the needed resistance.

I don't believe the repo turn signal switches are as good as the originals. I burnt up a few from various places. Who knows who made those. Started buying them from Shee-mar directly. Have not replaced once since. Shee-Mar Inc.

Re-read my post and wanted to clairify. I'm not suggesting the shee-mar switch will work with 6 incandescent lamps in the tail lights. Just that they seem to have a quality product.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I had the same problem with my 67. The 6 bulbs was to much for the signal switch and the brake light switch. I don't like LED's so I installed relays in the trunk to run the lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts