Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking to a friend of mine (69 440 RT) about burn outs. When ever we go for a cruz he does lots of burnouts and loves it. After restoring my mach I told him I wont be doing many burnouts as i coat my bumper and just behind the rear wheel and dislike cleaning it not to mention damage to paint. Dont care about how long your burnouts are just curious about peoples opinion on frequency.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'm over it, for the same reasons. My younger brother (both his cars) on the other hand...
20200428_202059.jpg
20200428_202042.jpg

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350-Tribute Restomod. 2019 Shelby GT350.
130 Posts
2nd 66, as you predicted:
You shouldn't do burnouts. They are wasteful and irresponsible.

And get off my lawn!

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350-Tribute Restomod. 2019 Shelby GT350.
130 Posts
rpm, The Mustang's doing it better, but I dig the Charger, too.
A long time ago I'd try that in my '69 Charger, but all I got was a pathetic one-wheel-peel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Talking to a friend of mine (69 440 RT) about burn outs. When ever we go for a cruz he does lots of burnouts and loves it. After restoring my mach I told him I wont be doing many burnouts as i coat my bumper and just behind the rear wheel and dislike cleaning it not to mention damage to paint. Dont care about how long your burnouts are just curious about peoples opinion on frequency.
I do them all the time but not for very long since I don't step on the brake, just floor it and hang on for the ride.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
VMF Ambassador
6,894 Posts
You guys are just doing it wrong, that's all.

If your car is wearing mudflaps, you can do a burnout and suffer exactly zero (paint/cleaning-related) repercussions! At least, until the tire melts enough that it starts slinging up onto the front of the wheelwell as well.

Here's mine after doing (admittedly slow, mostly slidey) donuts in mud about 6" deep.

Ironically, the nicest paint on my car is on the lower quarters because the mudflaps protect them from pretty much all damage. I never have to clay bar that area to get contaminants out of the paint. The rest of the car, on the other hand....

·
Registered
835 Posts
Spray a heavy coat of lemon pledge or wd-40 on the affected surfaces, easy to clean the rubber off. Now, smoke 'em if ya got 'em...

·
Registered
172 Posts
^^^^^^^^ exactly what I was going to say - WD-40.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
714 Posts
What fun is a car with some HP and rear wheel drive without a burn out or 6 a day? Life is too short. When we have left this earth no one is going to care if the quarter panels have some rock chips on them. Once my new rear end is in and broken in, Im going to abuse my rear tires frequently.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
10,679 Posts
You’re Never too for a good, solid, dual rubber burn out!

·
Registered
818 Posts
About 45 years ago :eek: there was a hint in Hot Rod magazine about the residue from burnouts.
Get some binder clips and some small cardboard cut to act like mud flaps.
Clip the cardboard mudflaps on, do your burnout, remove cardboard mud flaps, drive on.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I hope someone explains what you are talking about (cleaning tire buggers off the fender from massive burnouts) to the 289 crowd... ;)

Reactions: DaleB and jherrud
1 - 20 of 41 Posts