Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old car bangs and clangs pretty good going down the road and has plenty of sway in it after sitting outside on flat tires for 2 years so I am looking to basically swap out the old parts for new parts to smooth out the ride. Not looking to upgrade to fancy hi end parts just the basics but I wanted to get a rough cost estaminet if any of you have done it. I know it’s probably going to be in the thousands just wanna see how many body parts I needed to sell.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you just need basics it's not going to be in the thousands. New front and rear shocks, new ball joints, new bushings for sure. If your front coil springs and rear leaf springs are shot then replace those as well, otherwise no need to buy something new. If you're only looking to save money go with some Monroe Monro-Matic shocks. But know that shocks are one of those parts that you get what you pay for. I like Bilsteins but they're pricey (and worth it, in my opinion). You'll need new spring perches and if you want an improvement get some roller perches. Those are going to be much more expensive, but again, worth it. I'd suggest MOOG ball joints which shouldn't run you too much.

If you want more than just replacing old parts, make sure you have an export brace and a Monte Carlo bar. And a larger anti-sway bar will stiffen up your suspension.

I'd personally want to know exactly what it is that's banging and clanging, but if you know your suspension is suspect then replace all of that anyway and see if it goes away. If not, get under the car and start moving things to see what's making the noise.

·
Registered
21,332 Posts
what he said^^^^ I'd like to throw in while you have it apart do the Arning drop. This lowers the upper control arms. It's a simple free modification that make a huge improvement in how the car handles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts