Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my old UCA out and was getting ready to install the new one but I have a question. I noticed the lower ball rubber cover that holds the grease is split and kinda rotten. Also the end link bushings are smashed,You can move them up and down,They are real loose. Would it be worth going ahead and replacing the lower control arm and ball joint even though dont seem to have any wiggle to it. Does it help anything to change the end links or just leave the old ones in there.
This is turning into another one of those well as long as I am this far may as well fix this to.lol
Will it ever end?lol
What do you guys think,Should I replace the lower control arm and the end links? Do they sell a kit to fix them?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also,Are the end links rubber suppose to have play in them? You can move the rubber up and down and I am guessing its suppose to be tight?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If your control arms are in good shape, if it were me, I would not replace them, just the hardware and bushings, if they need to be. As far as the end links, same thing, if it is in good shape, I say, reuse them and save the money and put it toward something else.

The rubber bushings are somewhat loose and flex, but I do not think it should be as loose as you mentioned. I do not think you should be able to move the rubber up and down. I cannot move mine up and down at all, but they do flex somewhat.

I am in the process of replacing my entire front bushings on my 66. I found a kit at CJ Pony where I do a lot of my business.
I am going with replacement polyurethane bushings instead of rubber because from what I have read, its firmer, provides better steering response, and removes any bump steer if one exists, which mine doesn't.

Here's a good site with much info, maybe it will help.
Steering, Suspension & Wheel - Mustang tech and info links

I have a question you may be able to answer or someone else who happens to stumble across this thread.
What is the OEM size for a v8 1966 anti sway bar?
I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I have seen every size ranging from 7/8; 5/8; 11/16; to 3/4"
I want to replace my sway bar insulators when I replace all of the other bushings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts