Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accomplished a lot today, and it felt really good being back in the saddle wrenching. Here's what I accomplished:
1. Installed outer tie rod dust seal, lubed the tie rod, and installed it onto the drag link.
2. The painter put 1/4" worth of shims on the lower passenger hinge/pillar to get the door to align correctly. I mounted the door to determine just how bad this was, in anticipation of slotting the bolt holes. By myself, I mounted the door, aligned it, and removed the shims. Door aligns very well without the shims. Took all of 30 minutes to mount, align, and futz with the hinge. Surprised even me how easy this was!
3. I had the painter repair a fiberglass interior piece, where a tab broke off right at the mounting hole. The painter ended up repairing all six holes, plugging them right up. By screwing screws backwards and marking the back of the fiberglass piece, I was able to drill mounting holes, and ensured that it can be mounted correctly.
4. Kick panels came without drilled holes for mounting into the metal. I cut off a screw head, screwed it into the metal, and mounted the kick panels. Slamming the kick panels against the headless screw told me where to drill. Drilled the kick panels, and mounted them to ensure proper fitment.
5. The replacement driver's side front frame rail has the bumper support bolt holes exactly 1/8" lower than originals, so I had to enlargen the two bumper support brackets to accomodate them. I then sandblasted the curvey piece that goes forward, primed, and painted it.

Now that was a sucessful day working out in the garage! Yes sir! :highfive:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nice work Mid :highfive:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I was going to ask that !! :)
Actually I thought maybe you died or something Midlife....
I got all choked up thinking about it...(sniff)
Glad you had a good week....slow and steady.... :)

·
7,013 Posts
4. Kick panels came without drilled holes for mounting into the metal. I cut off a screw head, screwed it into the metal, and mounted the kick panels. Slamming the kick panels against the headless screw told me where to drill. Drilled the kick panels, and mounted them to ensure proper fitment.
Good idea! I used a tape measure and a prayer. ::

Phil

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I cut off a screw head, screwed it into the metal, and mounted the kick panels. Slamming the kick panels against the headless screw told me where to drill.
Now that's a really good idea. I, in the past, have just gauged where the bolt should be, installed the panel and drilled a new hole, then stuck a screw in it.

I like your way much better ... one less hole *LOL*.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts