Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With wheel cylinders being so cheap is there any reason or advantage to rebuild the old ones vs just getting replacements?
My next big job is rebuilt front and rear drums.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
it depends on what condition your current cylinders are in. i have done both, and i find the buying new ones is a great time saver, but if money is really tight, rebuild them. unless the cylinders are pitted, just installing new rubbers and other fresh parts does just fine.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
For what its worth: I replaced the slave cylinder for my hydraulic clutch in my 05 Mazda 6 a couple years ago with a generic replacement from Autozone...within 20k the clutch was sticking and the slave cylinder needed to be replaced again.....I then replaced it with a new replacement from Mazda...no issues since. There is no difference in a wheel cylinder vs. a slave cylinder in a hydraulic system...beware replacing it with cheap parts....some will undoubtedly fail sooner than you would expect.

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
They’re like $15 each for good name brand cylinders.... no brainer. If you’re glutting for punishment or just plain bored, I’ll send you all my hones and extra stones.... I doubt I’ll ever use them again! Lol

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
So I just checked NAPA and 66 front cyls are 16.49 and 16.99 and a kit is 5.29---- so unless you have something that needs date coded oe stuff just replace them. If money is that tight maybe owning a car is not for you right now.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
With wheel cylinders being so cheap is there any reason or advantage to rebuild the old ones vs just getting replacements?
My next big job is rebuilt front and rear drums.
If you have a wheel cylinder hone and the bleeders come out without a problem then sure, why not rebuild them? If you DON'T have a wheel cylinder hone then I'd buy new ones. Sure, the bores may LOOK fine, but that tiny bit of rust that you can't see may come back to haunt you.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
The hone can be a trap too. On one of my 53 Chevy trucks, the cylinders had been honed at some point, so when I did it the bore became a size that no longer matched any rebuild kit. Just buy the new ones. You don't get time back, and I personally have better things to do.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Small issue: Original wheel cylinders often came with 1/8th bleeders. So, if this is going to be Concours judged, you really want to keep those. You can send them out to be sleeved. They will still have those small bleeders. Otherwise, get new ones 'cause these are already about 50 years old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts