Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at a 65 Fb c code 4 speed. Owner had it for a little over 20 years, paint is faded in a few places (hood/roof). No visible rust from pictures. Manual drum brakes and steering. No accessories. Car was manufactured in California. Car is running/driving and has new tires. Speedometer, fuel gauge and e brake not working. Price $17500 USD. Going to go see it in person, any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Has anyone mentioned rust?

Lay on the floor and look up at the underside of the dash board. That's the bottom of the cowl and it tends to rust out around the vent and the heater intake and sometimes back in the corners.

When it does rust out, the water leaks down on the carpet, soaks through and rusts the floors. So lay on the ground and look at both front floor pans. It can also rust the frame rails there and the torque boxes just in front of the floor.

The cars also like to rust above the rear wheel wells, in the front lower corner of the doors and sometimes behind the rear window or around the tail lights.

The speedometer, fuel gauge and e-brake are probably not going to be hard to fix, depending on what someone did to them. Though if the fuel gauge doesn't work you should watch that the other gauges actually do because it's possible that the failure is the voltage regulator that feeds the gauges (easy fix) and not just the gauge.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
1. Rust as mentioned- cannot be stressed enough
2. Vin- check and recheck- the FB is valuable enough to have coupe/conversions- and other funny business- check thoroughly to be sure (don't use the door tag either)
3. bring cash and trailer- if its really good it will get gone on you- be sure of what it is and be ready to pounce- I have seen deals get made and then poof- someone else gets involved- so have a trailer or a rollback and take possession immediately upon payment/deal

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I miss stated the engine code it’s an A code. So I’m hoping that adds some value.

·
Registered
527 Posts
K > A > C > T. By how much? Who knows.

"Car was manufactured in California."

Where has the car been for the last 50 years?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got under the dash of my mustang and looked pretty good, just light surface rust. I looked inside the heater box as well, never did that before. Pulling the bottom back seat I see a seam, was this floor replaced? Other pictures are inside the trunk, top of the quarter panel. There is a seem here as well but it looks to perfect. Are these seems factory or evidence of quarter panel replacement and floor requirement?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Seams may or may not be original- post pics and we can advise- there should be NO welding marks/trails in the middle of floors, etc- this is usually a give away that a partial floor or whatever was spliced in- (which is ok- most will have had some work in the last 50 yrs )- but it should be nice work- not sloppy or crooked- and NO caulk (like home depot/Lowes kind)- no fiberglass and definetly no sheet metal on top of old rust (I have seen that more than once) Cowl is the most sinister repair (IMHO) as it is not detected up front and is fairly unpleasant (you really need interior out, windshield out, and even better if you take motor out) and the cowl is more expensive (part) than a qtr or a fender. Post up pics and someone will review for ya

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
C codes were autos, A codes were manuals. So it makes sense that your car is an A code, not the C code like you mentioned initially.
That’s incorrect. I own a C that is manual. It’s an engine code which does not determine the transmission.

Code Engine
A 289-4v
C 289-2v
D 289-4v
F 260-2v
K 289-4v Hi-Performance
T 200-1v
U 170-1v

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
the photos of the under seat area look about right to be original- and pretty good- but the worst areas are usually front floor - specifically where the front turns up at about 45* angle- if thats nice its a good indicator of cowl integrity- (but still pour 1 gallon of water into the cowl- ANY leakage is a problem)

the other pics are ? looking up from inside trunk? If so I think it has had qtrs put on but its hard to tell- the paint and splattering of tar/sealer look right- but the sharp edge does look like a qtr cut off and reinstalled- BUT I am not sure what I am looking at (and I don't have a FB so you better hold on for a FB owner to confirm or deny)- if they did put qtrs on it appears to be a decent job in the pics anyway

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Its had new rear quarter panels at some point and it looks like they they used quarter skins and overlapped the joint at the cut and placed the welds on top or the quarter, if you look close you can see what looks like weld penetration on the top. Im not sure how others feel but for me that would be a sign of a poor installation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the other pics are ? looking up from inside trunk? If so I think it has had qtrs put on but its hard to tell- the paint and splattering of tar/sealer look right- but the sharp edge does look like a qtr cut off and reinstalled- BUT I am not sure what I am looking at (and I don't have a FB so you better hold on for a FB owner to confirm or deny)- if they did put qtrs on it appears to be a decent job in the pics anyway
yes they are looking up inside the trunk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its had new rear quarter panels at some point and it looks like they they used quarter skins and overlapped the joint at the cut and placed the welds on top or the quarter, if you look close you can see what looks like weld penetration on the top. Im not sure how others feel but for me that would be a sign of a poor installation.
I don't see welds, what do they look like? This is my car. I'm doing this inspection in preparation for buying a second Mustang.

So if the car had no skins there would be no seams at all looking up from in the trunk?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts