Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i want to buya new aftermarket camshaft i have a edlebrock intake and holley carb lets say i get a lunati cam or edlebrock do i need to use vavle spring s that are made for those cams or will any springs work??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey, just go to cranes website, they can answer all of your questions...it also depends on what kind of lift you want...a more radical lift would warrant better springs, and so on and so on

College Station, TX

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i mean i want a cam with a little better performance and i want something with that lope sound i dont really know anything about the lift can you tell me more please?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to get the lope sound ur gonna have to get a pretty big lift. mine is much bigger than stock and i still dont really have much of a lope. but i also still have the 2v heads and probally shouldnt have a lope. if ur gonna get a huge cam u have to prepare the rest of the engine for it because u might loose performance by going with a drastic cam and not being able to feed it. make sense? also, if u drive it alot u may not want a big "lope" because it will idle very rough. but u might like it, i probaly would, mine idles pretty decent and doesnt get on my nerves.

Corpus Christi TX

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i am getting my engine rebuilt new pistons grinding the crank rings all that but i dont need new heads though and i have the edelbrock performer intake and holley 600 cfm carb so could i go with a carb that has a lift or do i need new heads so i wont loose power????

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i also have a performer intake from edelbrock and a 600 holley, i have headders too and its bored 20 over, turned the crank. valve job. etc, etc. i have a melling cam. .448 intake and .472 exhaust. not to big for my heads. if i were u i would go for something in this range. ford racing has one of these exaxt specs. aslo- port and polish ur heads if u wanna spend the extra money, i wish i had but too late. i didnt know much while i was building my 289, my dad was in control of the operation. but now i have some series plans. hehe. go with that cam and u wont regret it. loads of torque. i love it. i think IMHO that it is probally the best size cam for ur engine right now and is bigger than the stock c code cam, if u indeed have a c coder.
P.S. edelbrock has a cam that goes with that manifold. u might also look into that.
Corpus Christi TX<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by shutupanddrive on 04/15/01 11:12 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
For a mild buildup, shutupanddrive's suggestion of the .448 intake and .472 exhaust cam is a good choice, and is exactly what the Edlebrocker Performer cam is. With that cam, you're probably ok with your stock springs. Anything over that, though, and you'd better start looking at better springs. That size cam will match up well with your intake ... be sure to add headers and dual exhaust to complete the picture.

If you start going bigger than that (to get the more lope you desire) you're going to have to start taking other things into account like beefier springs, roller rockers (and hardened push rods), different intake, and probably better heads, too.

I swapped from a cam of .448 intake and .472 exhaust to the Performer RPM cam (.496 intake and .520 exhaust), but switched to the Performer RPM intake as well. Not being able to get my springs that weekend, decided to fire it up with the stock springs. Probaly due to coil bind on the "not up to snuff" springs, I immediately snapped a rocker arm in 2. Moral of the story is: once you start going with higher performance parts, don't cut corners!

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what dose porting and polishing your heads mean and what dose it do? also how can i contact ford mottorsports im boring .30 over 30 and i have headers and dual exhaust so which cam should i go with that will also give some loping sound and better performance

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but will that edelbrock cam give me better performance and will it give me some what of a lope or is it going to be like a factory replacemnt i already have headers and dual exhaust flowmasters so what should i do???? How can i contact ford motorsports?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Porting and polishing is where you take a dremmel tool to the inside of the intake and exhaust ports of the heads, once done the smooth - polished - surface lets the gases in and out better, this makes a big performance increase. When I was considerring having my heads ported the machine shop wanted about $300 for the work, but I have the monstor 351C 4 barrel heads, they recommended not even bothering as my heads could breath so well.

To learn a bit about building engines check out this website:
http://www.badasscars.com/, especially their tech-tips page, they explain all about the cams and other aspects of getting more performance from your engine when rebuilding.

69 Sportsroof, 351C, 4spd toploader, Restomod BOSS 429 clone - the one and only (?) 1969 BOSS 351

http://home.swbell.net/boss351/mustang/boss1.jpg
http://stangnet.cardomain.com/user/adamg69

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are the edlebrock performer cams any good will that increase my hp any i dont think it will give that lope sound will it???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no it will not be a factory replacement, maybe a mild lope but nothing real noticeable. performance increase over stock cam? yes. dont get too greedy wanting the lope. u only have a performer intake and edelbrock has a matching cam just for that intake. they dyno the combo and know what they are doing. going any bigger to get the lope would be pointless. if u want a lope- go buy some aluminum heads, have them ported and polished, stroke to a 347, put on dual quads and a cam with about .600 lift. hehe, you will have a lope alright. and dont forget to bore it 60 over. but seriously, if u wanna put in a super cam ur gonna need to change ur setup to make it work. for now, if i were u, i would stick with the edelbrock performer cam. go to www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com or anyplace like that and u can order a cam at a decent price. sometimes pep boys has edelbrock cams in stock. or get a melling like me. no one seems to have melling cams though. maybe they are no good, who knows, i like mine though.

Corpus Christi TX

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In order to get that lope, you'd have to change a lot of things. Just remember, bigger isn't always better!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts