Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think it makes sense to buy a run out 260 V8 just for the sake of tearing it down? I have a freshly rebuilt 260 in my Mustang, but have never seen the inside of it. I don't want to mess with something that isn't broke.
Also, what is a good price on a run out 260, not including some of the accessories like ps pump, generator, and a/c.

Thanks everyone, i'm just trying to educate myself.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I would say, if the car is a daily driver and couldn't be down during a rebuild, having a core engine on hand to rebuild is a good idea...but, since your engine is fresh, I don't think it's necessary.

You can easily determine the condition of the engine by examining the oil, the valvetrain and running leakdown and/or compression tests. Examining spark plugs and vacuum readings will also help to determine condition.

If the car is to be restored to concours condtion in the future and the current engine is original (although rebuilt), you can always pick up a 289 or 302 to put in the car until the restoration is to begin, preserving the state of the 260.

A core 260 long block should run between 100-200.00...if running in a vehicle, maybe a bit more...I'd pay more for a standard bore engine that will go .030" over than for a .030" engine, unless fresh.

Good luck!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I do not think a run out 260 should be worth more than $50 or so. Taking it apart, cleaning it up, diagnosing wear issues, etc. is alot of fun, especially if you aren't under time pressure. At worst you could simply freshen the bearings and rings for a standby engine; or whatever. Remember your current bell housing is 5-bolt, the later engines used 6-bolt bell housings. The 5-bolt bell housing for a C-4 tranny can be hard to find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts