Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the local radiator shop that you can't get a new core for a standard mustang radiator. This is the standard 20" size 2 core radiator for a 68 mustang.

Can you still get them and if so where? Thanks

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Why not just get an entirely new radiator? The 3-rows work very well.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I went with an aluminum radiator from Mustang Steve for $199 and couldn't be happier. Not sure why anyone would want the standard 2 core unless you are doing 100 point car.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Why not take them out of a new one, and then use your top, bottom and sides. It will not be cheap, but it will look correct which is what your after...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Help us understand the motivation?

Save money (because you think the core alone is cheaper if your tanks/frames are reusable)?

To keep the car as original as possible?

I'm assuming from your question it's the latter, because the former isn't worth the hassle, IMO.

·
Registered
813 Posts
John, I just had an original AC radiator recored and used the original top and bottom tanks, and the original sides, along with the long small diameter bolts that span the core. I had the shop add a row or tubes to what was originally used. When you look an an original there will be room for more rows than Ford saw fit to use. The tanks will have a flat unused area on them so it is possible to use a thicker core if a person wants to do so. I am sure they can also get a core that has only as many rows as the original. but in truth when the whole thing is together and the shroud is in place the extra row is not an issue as far as appearance goes. It was somewhat expensive, as you suspected, but I was happy with the results. I think the total was about $400 or so for the core and the labor, on in that area. I had it done at a shop called A to Z radiator in Springfield Il, and I have had them do many custom jobs like this. 217 525 2790 is their phone contact, you will need to talk to Terry Smith. Feel free to use my name when you discuss this with him if you decide this might be of interest to you. For what it is worth, I have them bead blast the tanks and sides, but leave them unpainted so I can use the shade of black that suits me as opposed to the radiator shop paint. Hope this may be of some help to you in your quest to keep your car original. I also think that if you search around there is a shop in your area that can and will do this same type of custom work. Check with the guys who work on industrial machines and earth moving equipment, they may know of just such a place.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey John, Charles told me about a place nearby and I called them, they said they could get the core so I will go that route. Thanks for the information, if things don't work out here I'll contact the person you mentioned, it sure is alot of work to get things like you want them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts