Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just checked out a car that a family acquaintance has for sale. He restores other cars, and I guess this one is just one too many. Its a wimbledon white, 1966 hardtop with the I6 and C4 tranny...just plain vanilla, I guess. Mechanically, it seems pretty good. The tranny leaks around the rear main seal. It has new shock tower braces, shocks and springs. The gas tank was replaced some time before it got to him, and has a leak that was patched using what looks like a screw and some pieces of metal. The interior and exterior are both on the level of crap, really. Torn seats, no carpet, dash is not too bad. Exterior has a crappy amateur paint job, which he sanded down in areas to find the original color. I'll need to paint the thing quick, and do to money I'll be doing most of the prep work, sanding, etc. with a buddy of mine, if I purchase. The floorpan has been cut out and patched, doesn't look like too much rust that still needs to be dealt with. One sidewall of the trunk has what looks like a cheap cover up job (riveted on metal). One thing that makes me weary of its mechanical condition is that after I drove it around the block a little, it was sitting and idling for a few mins. The owner got in to pull it into his garage, and the thing just died. It was as if he had stalled it like a manual, but its an auto. He said the carb was rebuilt, so its not that, I think. The guy wants $3000 for it. What do you guys think?

Thanks for reading through my whole long message, this is the first old mustang I will be purchasing, so I don't know much about it, and any help you can provide is welcome.

~Gowrons

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Sounds like he's asking about twice what it's worth, IMO.

·
Registered
193 Posts
the way you described the car , it seems it is in bad shape, but very fixable if you know what your doing. however, i think the asking price is a little too much for an unrestored 6 cylinder. i bought my 66 coupe a few years back in about the same condition for $500, it just needed some work. i would try to keep looking around for a better deal or see if he is willing to lower his price

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies-I thought the price was kinda high. I don't know if I underscored the car or not, basically what it needs is new carpet, upholstery, headliner, and paint job. I am going to have some knowledgable people look at the car in person, but all of your opinions are still very welcome.

~JP

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm going with the majority here... I don't think I'd give more that $750. There's just too many of these things still out there in better condition.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Appears a little high. 1500 would be the tops...

Look for something else...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts