Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals,
Its been a while since I posted. So long that my Login name was deleted; wierd. Anyway. I am in college now and nearly 4.5 hours away from my '69 Mach 1 and cant really fix the brakes and paint the thing until I get out whihc will be about a year and a half. Im the mean time I found a car that seems to be a deal.

According to the owner it has a US title but is currently overseas. I did record check with the VIN and it says 5 records found and that it was built in Germany. I didnt drop the $25 for a full report. If I am serious about buying I will have the owner pay for this.

My concern is that the car could have a salveged Germany title and a clean US title. This is possible right? When overseas vehicles are brought here are their records checked that well? Also, the car is a 2003 and I am worried about it passing smog. I am afraid to tell you all what it is considering it is the exact oppisite of my '69 Mach 1 and majority of your cars.

OK, its a 2003 Mini Cooper S with all the bells. It has the Nav system, custom work done by some crazy germany company Hamann Motorsports and has only 4,500 miles on it. The owner will include the shipping in the price and allow me a 30 day window to have it checked and will pay to ship it back if there is a problem.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Ryan,
I hope this is not an Ebay deal. That sure sounds a lot like scams that run there every day. If I'm mis-judging this, my apologies. I just wouldn't want to see anyone get burned. If it seems too good to be true, most likely it's a scam. Shipping a car overseas is exspensive. If you send a deposit and it's a scam, your money will be gone and you'll never see the car.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would be very careful about this deal. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Shipping included, and he'll ship it back at his cost if you don't like it!?! It was going to cost me $1200 to ship a car from Florida to Buffalo.
If this is the VIN, WMWRE33473TD67165, then the car is supposedly in Beverly Hills, with an asking price of $7200, "completely done over by Hamann"-a well--regarded supplier of performance products for BMW et al. A quick search on autotraderonline shows how ludicrous this price is. The cheapest I could find were just under $25K, with 9000 miles.
SCAM.
I would be wary of more than the smog situation and title.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
This title nonsense is a bit confusing. If I buy a salvaged car, no problem, if that car is good for our annual inspection; brakes, steering, suspension, rust in critical places, emissions and so on. I don't know even no what salvaged title in here would mean. The cars are registered and can be taken out of register (or at least they could have been, some new legistlation is going on) and then re-registered. If there is a sufficient accident damage or air bag has popped, the car couldn't be re-registered until the necesssary reparations have been made.

However, importing vehicles between US and EU is difficult unless the car has been typed. For example, I can't buy a new Mustang from US and import it into Finland, because it has not been typed to EU, damn Ford. EU and US had an agreement that E-typed and FMVSS (or whatever) were compatible until somewhere in 96 IIRC. So I could buy a 95 Mustang from US and have it registered in Finland but not 98.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
For personal use you are allowed to bring in one "grey market" import vehicle a year without the worry of e-check or other standards. Key, personal use only. NOT for resale. Not to say you can't resell, you just better use it first and wait a fair period of time before the re-sale.

G

·
Along with your college this proposed transaction can be a real learning experience. Now YOU have to determine what this bit of life schooling is going to cost you. Take heed of the other replies here. Do more investigating, maybe even contacting the equivalent of the DMV in Germany and check the title with them.
Bottom line.....find something in the US, and then go and actually touch the car. ::

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The owner will include the shipping in the price and allow me a 30 day window to have it checked and will pay to ship it back if there is a problem.
This is the key phrase. All the scams I am aware of use this same phrasing. Did they suggest a particular shipping company to use? The reason I ask, is some of the scammers have gone as far a creating an elaborate shipping company website where you deposit some money so the transaction can go through. Only problem is the website is fake and the money goes to the "seller" and you never see the car or your money.

Quick way to find out of this is real or not is to ask to see the car. Tell them you have a cousin in Europe that can look at the car for you. I almost guarantee you they will not allow you to.

Mark

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am being very cautious about this. Dad says to have him front the car if he is so certain I am going to like it. He is asking me to trust him, I should ask him to trust me.

Also, I did a carfax and it was bought and reistered in Hawaii and a loan or lein was registered also. The car was then registered a year later in Texas. I havent a clue if the loan or lein is paid for and whose name the title is in. My sister had a friend at a mini dealer run a VIN check and the name is certainly not the name of the person he wants me to send the western union check to.

Also, Hamann Motorsports is where he had it tricked out. According to the VIN report at the mini dealer, thats his last name--Hamann. Very wierd. I also googled the name and address I have in the email and it corresponds to a listing online of the same name and address, this one included a phone number.

Oh, they did recommend a shipping agency--Lufthansa Air Cargo. They seem legit. Hit latest email resates his gurantee and also says that Western Union has video cameras and all his information and that he doesnt want to go to jail.

I might have an aunt in the UK.

Thanks Guy
Rc

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It's surely a scam. Walk away. It's greed that gets people burned on these deals that are truly "too good to be true".

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Run away from this "deal". If I wasn't sure before that it was a scam, the Western Union thing pretty much makes it certain.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
A definite 100% SCAM! I've mixed it up with several of these thieves. This is even bigger than the Nigerian son/daughter/wife/grandma/girlfriend of deposed "Royalty" who want to send $30 million to your bank account because you are so trustworthy.

NEXT STEP: REPORT THE AUCTION TO EBAY SECURITY ASAP!!!

Keep the bastard hanging on by asking questions or promising a payment.

WARNING! This is happening domestically, too. If you want to know if someone really has the car you're bidding on, have them send you NEW pics of it. Ask for details that can be matched to posted pics. Check the background and small details like speedo readings or radio station settings. And, of course check the VIN (but that doesn't guarantee they actually have the car, only the history of it).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts