Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I just got my driveshaft installed and i go to move the car backwards and nothing. The car will budge a little bit but nothing. I check to see if its in gear, nope, not in gear. I check for the parking brake, nope, not engaged. The car refuses to move, I had to disconnect the driveshaft again just to move it father back into my garage. Whats the deal. Why is this trans locking up? Do I have shifter rods in the wrong place that dont wanna line up or something? Im dumbfounded by this and just absolutly frustrated as all hell. BTW its a borg warner t10 four speed in a 66 mustang, and yes the trans is original to the car. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
I'm guessing rods. Without the drive shaft, does the trans turn? Is it only reverse giving you the problem? REverse has it's own shifter prawl.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Most likely you have some lever upside down. I had that when I installed a Toploader, the reverse lever was upside down. When the shifter was at reverse, the reverse was off and when the shifter was neutral, the reverse was on. You just have to figure out the levers first. Then check out that your linkage length is set correctly for shifter. At least in my Hurst there is a small slot where you put a small stick all through the shifter body and adjust linkage so that at neutral the stick will go into hole. Sexy, isn't it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'll bet that you have the reverse and either 1st or 3rd gear on at the same time. My T10 will do that sometimes, and the car won't move. Great for parking on a hill, though ::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts