Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

So I have a leak in my heater core.
Which leads to fogs in the windshield at night.

I thought I could by pass it for now, because I live in California so I might not need it even in winter. Question is : would it really stop the fogging?

I just changed the boots and rack from the power steering and I am in the process of moving right now so I cannot really afford anything new - let me know if you have any ideas

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fan/ac doesn’t work basically all the control panel so I might just by pass it. 12v defroster ? Does it work? Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do thank you. Im worried about the fog issue as I work late but I ll try to plug the lines

Thank you

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Don't bypass, close it off. A loop will allow coolant to bypass the heater all right, but it will also bypass the radiator. Cap the fittings.

Yes, bypass for now. I've been bypassing the heater core in my '67 daily driver in SoCal for over 12 years!

However, fair warning about the rubber caps posted above. I originally used those as well. One cracked so bad over time (approx 3 months of daily driving) that it split in two and caused my water pump to shoot hot coolant all over the engine bay. This will leave you stranded. If you don't daily drive your Mustang, you "might" be OK with these, but again, fair warning to you... >:)

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Just fix the darn thing....

Bypass/close it until you get the time to fix it..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Administrator
19,322 Posts
Just curious, how did you determine the heater was leaking or did you just take my word for it from the last thread? As I said, just curious.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh wow , I ve been reading about this before ! Thanks for the info.

You ve been by passing your heater core in SoCal for 12 years ? How is the fog situation at night/ morning in Cali winter with no heater core (or fan or ac) ? And no over heating engine ? I might just go for a by pass because I do drive it daily. I’m just trying to find the best solution to avoid foggy windows cause I almost got into an accident the other night and couldn’t see a thing. (My heater core was leaking obv.)

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious, how did you determine the heater was leaking or did you just take my word for it from the last thread? As I said, just curious.
First, I really thought it couldnt be the heater core for various reasons and after seeing your post I seriously considered this option and then took a look at it with my uncle, and turned out you were right! thanks so much

·
Registered
95 Posts
My heater core went. dumped coolant all over passenger floor. I by passed the heater core to get me home that day. Ended up driving the car for years like that before replacing the heater core.

·
Registered
33,890 Posts
Yes, bypass for now. I've been bypassing the heater core in my '67 daily driver in SoCal for over 12 years!

However, fair warning about the rubber caps posted above. I originally used those as well. One cracked so bad over time (approx 3 months of daily driving) that it split in two and caused my water pump to shoot hot coolant all over the engine bay. This will leave you stranded. If you don't daily drive your Mustang, you "might" be OK with these, but again, fair warning to you... >:)
Must've been defective. On "heater delete" cars, Ford used those to close the connections on the engine.

I did notice on the BOSS 302 Trans-Am cars that the heater connections were sealed with steel pipe plugs. But then, at 200 mph, I should hope so.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Oh wow , I ve been reading about this before ! Thanks for the info.

You ve been by passing your heater core in SoCal for 12 years ? How is the fog situation at night/ morning in Cali winter with no heater core (or fan or ac) ? And no over heating engine ? I might just go for a by pass because I do drive it daily. I’m just trying to find the best solution to avoid foggy windows cause I almost got into an accident the other night and couldn’t see a thing. (My heater core was leaking obv.)

Thanks
I keep a micro-fiber cloth/rag in my glovebox that I use to wipe the inside of the windshield when it fogs up when getting into the car. Then I drive with the windows down to prevent it from fogging up again. It can get chilly at times, but I prefer the chill over still stagnant air.

BTW - My heater core is fine (I just replaced it), but I've been just too lazy to reroute the hoses to connect it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm another -1 on the plugs. I would run a bypass. The heat loss through the heater core is negligible to the engine, and the plugs crack more often than hoses in my experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts