Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Will bypassing the heater and running the hose from water pump directly into the engine cause problems for the thermostat to open?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I’ve done it for short period of time only, due to heater core seepage.

Might take slightly longer to warm up since you will have 2 bypass hoses now.

I would plug and cap them to clean up engine compartment.

Just a suggestion.

Not needed.

Just another failure point if not using a heater.

·
Premium Member
10,996 Posts
No problem. Race cars plug the 2 holes with pipe thread caps.

·
Premium Member
10,996 Posts
I’ve done it for short period of time only, due to heater core seepage.

Might take slightly longer to warm up since you will have 2 bypass hoses now.

I would plug and cap them to clean up engine compartment.

Just a suggestion.

Not needed.

Just another failure point if not using a heater.
it bypasses through the heater on 65-66.

·
Registered
294 Posts
How to you plug the nipple that comes off the water pump? I ran a bypass hose recently because the 3/4 water pump nipple seemed to be fixed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's pressed into the water pump. I plug mine with a 2" piece of hose, a short plug cut from a bolt and two clamps.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I Ran plugged for over 10 yrs until I was able to get my core replaced back in 1997

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I trailer my car to autocross events but still retain the heater. Even the most basic defrost when it rains is far better and safer than nothing.

Reactions: Nos681

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I trailer my car to autocross events but still retain the heater. Even the most basic defrost when it rains is far better and safer than nothing.
Agreed, replacing the heater core in these cars is not that hard. If one does so, it's good to get the gasket kit for the heater box as the original ones fall apart.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
When I was thinking about building a race car, all the racers I spoke with said you have to have defrosters in a closed car, at speed, you don't want to be worried about seeing...

Agreed, replacing the heater core in these cars is not that hard. If one does so, it's good to get the gasket kit for the heater box as the original ones fall apart.
Its not hard but its a total PITA working under the dash! Make sure you cover the carpet (if applicable) with plastic if there is any chance there is old water in the core. Its a bitch to bet that stuff out of the carpet, ask me how I know...

·
Registered
36,200 Posts
A couple comments.... 1) plugging the intake outlet and water pump inlet forces all the coolant through the radiator, instead of recirculating hot water right back into the engine. 2) Replacing the heater core on a '66 without A/C in the way takes about 1/2 hour.... and they now have replacement heater cores with extended tubes so you can change hoses without dropping the heater box.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I suggest to those that think one of these heater cores is difficult, dig into a Fox chassis car, or a Taurus. That'll add a little perspective.

Reactions: 66coupe289

·
Registered
954 Posts
With a console it’s a huge pain to change.

·
Premium Member
10,996 Posts
How to you plug the nipple that comes off the water pump? I ran a bypass hose recently because the 3/4 water pump nipple seemed to be fixed.
Some aftermarket pumps have a pipe thread in place of the pressed in nipple. I saw a stock pump with a pressed in plug once

·
Registered
857 Posts
Don't forget that the heater hose is necessary for the thermal choke on your carburetor, if that's what you have... wish I could loop them with a short hose like you pictured but I need the hose to run on the side of the carburetor in that little bracket.
carb1.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts