Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the second pan and gasket i put on it i torqed it to the specs where do i go from here
TIA
Chris

·
Registered
647 Posts
Chris,
Just a thought, have you looked at the dipstick tube "O" ring? I've found that bad before.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Are you using cork or rubber gaskets? The rubber ones tend to leak even if they are new.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
When you removed the pan, did you check it carefully for flatness? If it has been overtorqued, there will be a slight dimple at those bolt locations. If you then torque it to spec., the gasket is not compressed evenly. Check it carefully and it can be repaired with the usual BFH and a goog flat surface. Learned that one the hard way on my then new 1960 Corvair engine. I think they made the pan out of lead. I was really soft and no way could you get it to stop leaking except to replace it with 1961 or later. Good Luck.

PS are you using 12-16 Foot Pounds? That is the spec. in the manual.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Go to Ford and buy the gasket . Standard C4's use the same gasket and the Ford one is rubber impregnated and much tougher than a regular parts store gasket . Also DON'T use RTV on it . Make sure your pan bolt holes are not dimpled in as previously stated . Place the pan on something flat (ground/driveway,etc.) on top of a flat piece of wood and tap the dimples back out . Use the ford gasket and glue it with spray glue to the pan and then install it . Don't torque the beans out of the bolts , just nice and snug . Should stop leaking .
Wish they had a gasket like my wifes explorer 5.0's auto has . It is rubber wrapped around metal and it will not leak . You can even reuse it .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts