Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taking the philosophy that there are no bad questions.......

i installed a Trans-Go kit in my C-4 easily enough. The surprising part is that the nuts for band adjustment are frozen/corroded so that i'm afraid of rounding them which would turn a questionable situation into a real problem, i'm sure. I think part of the problem is the nuts are square instead of the usual hexagon. Is there a tool i need for this especially or should I just grab the vice-grips and give it hell?

Also...since the bands are out of adjustment (boy does it ever downshit now!!) am I going to hurt my transmission in the short term by driving it?

(God my typing is bad...rrrrggghhh)

Thanks folks!!

'69 coupe in the making

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
hmmm... all the band adjuster locknuts that I've seen are hexagonal....do you mean the adjuster itself?? Yeah, that's square on the end...

You need to back off the locknut first.....it has a seal inside and should be replaced if you've never messed with the trans before....

Use an 8 point socket on the adjuster....maybe someone will post its size...I can't remember offhand...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh maybe that's what i was doing wrong...i think i was trying to hold the locknut steady and wrench the adjuster...duh!! I didn't want to apply too much force to anything but i'll give that a try, thanks.

Greg

'69 coupe in the making

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I had a problem with this when I installed my B&M Transpak. I evidently tightened the front band too much, locking down the transmission! I loosened it up and everything was fine. As far as the consequences of driving it if it's too loose or too tight, I have no idea... Good luck!

Shane

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
C4 only...
Intermediate...that's the front one...
Discard locknut and replace with new; do not tighten until adjustment complete...
Tighten adjusting screw to 10 lb ft ( that's 120 lb in) and then unscrew adjusting screw exactly 1.5 turns...
Hold in place while tightening locknut against case....I usually tighten the locknut with a good hard pull on a normal end wrench...

Low-reverse band....same procedure as above except back the screw off 3 turns instead of 1.5....

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts